"Thank God It's Friday!" Top 25 movie quotes by Tom Hanks in the '80s
Tom Hanks is 54 years old today. It just feels weird to type that. How can Tom Hanks possibly grow old? Alas, it happens to all of us, and at least Tom appears to be staying away from the usually Hollywood Expressway to plastic surgery doctors.
When did Hanks first catch your eye? For me, it was on TV's Bosom Buddies and then the movie Bachelor Party, which I still proudly own on DVD. Others might say it was the movie Big. Very few probably say Joe Versus The Volcano, but damn it, that's a good movie too.
These days, Hanks seems to juggle acting and producing duties, which seems like a great gig. Three movies he's producing are in various stage of production, including Larry Crowne, a movie about a middle-aged man who reinvents himself by returning to college. (Sounds tempting!) Of course, Hanks was smart enough to start in this flick too. Look for it in 2011.
In the meantime, how about a Top 25 list worthy of one of our favorite '80s icons.
TOP 25 MEMORABLE TOM HANKS LINES IN THE '80s:
25. "I don't ask for much. I don't ask to be rich, and I don't ask to be famous, and I don't ask to play center field for the New York Yankees. I just want to get married and have a wife, and a house, and I want to have a kid, and I want to go see him be a tooth in the school play!" (Splash)
24. "Not that I'm complaining, but I usually don't like my filth this clean!" (Bachelor Party)
23. "Oh, no, no, no, I'm not, I'm not tense. Well, I did pass out today... and got hit in the head by a baseball... and brushed my teeth with shampoo... then butchered Rimsky- Korsakov in front of 1,500 people, and my clothes fell apart. But I'm not *tense*." (The Man with One Red Shoe)
22. "That's right, Lawrence Bournes III; rich American." (Volunteers)
21. "Ahh, home crap home!" (The Money Pit)
20. "I'm just protecting my balls, just as, I'm sure, at one time or another, you have protected your own." (Nothing in Common)
19. "Adorable. Damn it, why can't you look terrible? I've been out walking the streets trying to convince myself I wasn't in love with you and I come back here and you're barefoot and you're adorable." (Every Time We Say Goodbye)
18. "You know, Muzz, you have the right to remain silent. If you give up the right to remain silent any thing you s-, you know these words, Muzz! C'mon, sing along! Anything-you-say can-and WILL be USED against-you IN a-court of LAW!" (Dragnet)
17. "Thank you for being Catholic, and for choosing the Saint Gabriel's School Bus." (Bachelor Party)
16. "If you're sending someone down, you better send him fast - 'cuz funny Steve's going under." (Punchline)
15. "Nobody knocks off an old man in my neighborhood and gets away with it." (The Burbs)
14. "Don't eat the car! Not the car! Oh, what am I yelling at you for? You're a dog!" (Turner & Hooch)
13. "It's time for spice, and the lucky spice is... paprika! 'Oh thank you, thank you! You've made me the happiest spice in the world!' " (Bachelor Party)
12. "I am Pardue, and I am a holy man." (Mazes and Monsters)
11. "Do I look like I'm associated with this hootenanny? And when you come back, bring me something with alcohol in it." (Volunteers)
10. "I AM NOT A FISH! How many times do I have to tell you people that?" (Splash)
9. "Thank God, it's Friday!" (Dragnet)
8. "Um, what's a marketing report?" (Big)
7. "Dear Dad. Have made terrible mistake and joined the Peace Corps." (Volunteers)
6. "This is not your room." (Turner & Hooch)
5. "God I love this street." (The Burbs)
4. "Here lies Walter Fielding. He bought a house, and it killed him." (The Money Pit)
3. "It's not that I can't help these people. It's just I don't want to." (Volunteers)
2. "I don't understand. All my life I've been waiting for someone and when I find her, she's... she's a fish." (Splash)
1. "We are all God's animated cartoons." (Punchline)