Thirsty for more holiday flicks?
Here's a holiday movie that was released too late to make our list of Top 20 Holiday Movies of the 80s: Home Alone. The 1990 movie was written by John Hughes, but directed by Chris Columbus, who went on to direct the first two Harry Potter movies. (His best directing work of the 80s? The much underrated 1987 flick Adventures in Babysitting.)
If you're a fan of Home Alone, then here's some good news: A new special edition DVD has just been released. The "Family Fun" edition includes audio commentaries by Columbus and Macaulay Culkin, several behind-the-scene featurettes and more footage of "Angels With Filthy Souls," the fictional gangster movie that Culkin uses to spook the burglars.
I'm not a huge fan of the Home Alone franchise or Culkin's, so I'll pass on this offering. I thought the original movie, admittedly clever at times, has been tainted by Culkin's off-screen antics and watered down by the inexcusable pair of sequels that followed. Short of the Jaws and Friday the 13th movies, it's hard to imagine a more painful set of follow-up movies. However, a top 5 list seems appropriate.
Top 5 quotes from Home Alone:
5. "You bomb me with one more can, kid, and I'll snap off your cajones and boil them in motor oil! "
4. "How can you give Kris Kringle a parking ticket on Christmas Eve? What's next, rabies shots for the Easter Bunny?"
3. "No clothes on anybody? Sickening."
2. "This house is so full of people it makes me sick. When I grow up and get married, I'm living alone."
1. "You guys give up yet? Or are you thirsty for more?"