Top 5 movies: Sally Field turns 65
It's hard to argue that Sally Field belongs in any one decade. Probably the first image in your head is Sally as "Frog" in Smokey and the Bandit. Or as Norma Rae in ... well, Norma Rae. Alas, those are both late '70s flicks.
Turn to the '80s and you get a very different Sally Field, starting with 1980's ... well, she was Frog again in Smokey and the Bandit II and is it just me or can anyone out there actually remember the plot of this sequel? (Was that the one when Burt's drunk the whole time? Or the one when Snowman pretends to be the Bandit? Oh god, it doesn't matter.) Personally, and I say this with no shame: Favorite Sally Field movie of all time? 1991's Soapdish. ("Next time, could you wear a swimsuit underneath the towel? It's a little early in the day for me.")
Field has won two Oscars -- and oddly enough has only been nominated twice, but can you name the movies she won for? (Places in the Heart, Norma Rae.) And also a Razzie (1991's Not Without My Daughter.) But though you may think of her mainly as a film star, she's actually won more Emmys than Oscars. (Three times, for Brothers & Sisters, ER and Sybil.)
But alas, we're not here to honor anything other than the '80s. So let's celebrate Sally Field's 65th birthday with a traditional top 5 list.
TOP 5 SALLY FIELD MOVIES OF THE '80s:
5. PLACES IN THE HEART (1984): "You ever try and steal anything from me again, I'll shoot you myself, You understand that?"
4. PUNCHLINE (1988): "Oh okay, so I'm not funny, SHOOT ME!"
3. MURPHY'S ROMANCE (1985): "I'd go out on the streets, but you've only got one."
2. ABSENCE OF MALICE (1981): "Haven't you heard of women's lib?"
1. STEEL MAGNOLIAS (1989): "I just sat there. I just held Shelby's hand. There was no noise, no tremble, just peace. Oh god. I realize as a woman how lucky I am. I was there when that wonderful creature drifted into my life and I was there when she drifted out. It was the most precious moment of my life."