Top 80 villains of the '80s: Ed Rooney to Hans Gruber
Professor Jerry Hathaway is a real jerk in Real Genius. But he does get a love scene with Deborah Foreman. So does that reinforce what Donald Sutherland was trying to teach us in Animal House: That being bad is more fun than being good? Umm, yeah.
Today's big winner: F. Murray Abraham bagged on Oscar for playing the jealous Italian composer Salieri in Amadeus. And to think he was equally as sleazy in Scarface. And Star Trek Insurrection. And Bonfire of the Vanities. And Last Action Hero. But I'm not admitting to watching that last flick.
TOP 80 VILLAINS OF THE '80s: (Nos. 21-30)
30. ED ROONEY (Jeffrey Jones) in Ferris Bueller's Day Off (1986): "Les jeux sont faits. Translation: the game is up. Your ass is mine."
29. THE DUKE (Isaac Hayes) in Escape from New York (1981): "Snake Plissken ... I heard you were dead!"
28. ANTONIO SALIERI (F. Murray Abraham) in Amadeus (1984): "From now on we are enemies, You and I. Because You choose for Your instrument a boastful, lustful, smutty, infantile boy and give me for reward only the ability to recognize the incarnation. Because You are unjust, unfair, unkind, I will block You, I swear it. I will hinder and harm Your creature on earth as far as I am able."
27. VICTOR MAITLAND (Steven Berkoff) in Beverly Hills Cop (1984): "Now listen to me, my tough little friend. I don't know from under what stone you crawled, or where you get these ridiculous ideas about me, but it seems painfully obvious you haven't the slightest f---ing idea who you're dealing with."
26. GUIDO (Joe Pantoliano) in Risky Business (1983): "In times of economic uncertainty, never ever f--- with another man's livelihood."
25. CLUBBER LAND (MR. T) in Rocky 3 (1982): "No, I don't hate Balboa. I pity the fool, and I will destroy any man who tries to take what I got!"
24. DARTH VADER (David Prowse) in Empire Strikes Back (1980): "The force is with you, young Skywalker, but you are not a Jedi yet."
23. JOAN CRAWFORD (Faye Dunaway) in Mommie Dearest (1981): "Don't f--- with me fellas. This ain't my first time at the rodeo."
22. PROF. JERRY HATHAWAY (William Atherton) in Real Genius (1985): "What are you looking at? You're laborers; you should be laboring. That's what you get for not having an education."
21. HANS GRUBER (Alan Rickman) in Die Hard (1988): "I wanted this to be professional, efficient, adult, cooperative. Not a lot to ask. Alas, your Mr. Takagi did not see it that way... so he won't be joining us for the rest of his life."
Sneak peak at tomorrow's list: "If he pukes, you die."