Top 80 villains of the '80s: Thulsa Doom to that Val-dude Tommy
Say what you like about the Saw, X-Men, Twilight movies and all that other garbage. If you want true villains, you need the '80s. Today, we begin our list of the Top 80 Villains of the 1980s. We'll roll out 10 a day for the next eight days. No wagering please.
My special thanks to Stuck in the '80s nation, who helped compile this list over the last six months. It's a labor of love. No, it's better than that. It's a labor of evil!
Today's big winner: Max Von Sydow, who doesn't play a villain nearly enough. Even as a Nazi in Victory, he's the good guy. How many Nazis can say that. We love you, Ming the Merciless!
TOP 80 VILLAINS OF THE '80s (Nos. 71 to 80):
80. THULSA DOOM (James Earl Jones) in Conan the Barbarian (1982): "You broke into my house, stole my property, murdered my servants, and my PETS! And that is what grieves me the most! You killed my snake."
79. MING THE MERCILESS (Max Von Sydow) in Flash Gordon (1980): "Pathetic earthlings. Hurling your bodies out into the void, without the slightest inkling of who or what is out here. If you had known anything about the true nature of the universe, anything at all, you would've hidden from it in terror."
78. ROY STALIN (Aaron Dozier) in Better Off Dead (1985): "Myer? As in Oscar Meyer?"
77. BRAD WESLEY (Ben Gazzara) in Road House (1989): "Elvis! Play something with balls!"
76. BOB SHELDON (Leif Garrett) in The Outsiders (1983): "You guys know what Greasers are? White trash with long, greasy hair."
75. BIFF TANNEN (Thomas F. Wilson) in Back to the Future (1985): "Say hi to your mom for me."
74. DAMON KILLIAN (Richard Dawson) in The Running Man (1987): "You bastard! Drop dead!"
73. ACE MERRILL (Kiefer Sutherland) in Stand by Me (1986): "You got two choices. You leave quietly, we take the body. Or, you can stay, we beat the sh-- out of you, we take the body."
72. ED DILLINGER/SARK (David Warner) in Tron (1982): "I don't know how you survived, slave. Prepare to terminate."
71. TOMMY (Michael Bowen) in Valley Girl (1983): "Who else is there? No other Val dude can touch me. She must really be freaking out."
Sneak preview of tomorrow's list: "It's Hardy Jenns. With TWO n's."