Video didn't kill Journey's star
Let's face it: Journey is about eight years overdue for a spot in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Eligible since 2000, our San Fran rockers are victim to the sort of pre-Darwinian mentality that puts Madonna into the hall before them.
But our Neal, Ross and the gang are no threat to win the coveted MTV Video Vanguard award for a career of great music videos. I can't think of a band in the 80s that did less with MTV than Journey. And that's OK with fans, so long as they keep banging out great music and hitting the road for tours.
Still, if you force the issue, here's what you have...
TOP 5 JOURNEY VIDEOS:
5. WHEN YOU LOVE A WOMAN (watch it): Ah yes, the obligatory "look, we're recording the song" video.
4. SEND HER MY LOVE (watch it): Note to all our favorite bands. Always gotta love the "live concert" video with the studio version of the song laid in over the top.
3. ANY WAY YOU WANT IT (watch it): Late 70s cheesy goodness. Ross Valory looks like he belongs in Molly Hatchet, not Journey.
2. SEPARATE WAYS (watch it): I think the air-playing of the instruments is border-line creepy, but this video is as '80s as it gets.
1. FAITHFULLY (watch it): Steve Perry with a mustache in the ultimate "weary band on the road" tale. Any more questions?