Vinnie Barbarino! What happened? Worst movies of the 80s (Nos. 41-50)
We're cutting into the bone of our Worst 80 movies of the 80s list. Today's list takes on some cherished flicks for some movie buffs -- Dirty Dancing, Flash Gordon -- while dismissing a few others that every life form on earth should detest. Enjoy the bile. (Click here to see the list of 51-60, 61-70, 71-80)
Today's biggest losers: John Travolta's slow slide into the deepest, darkest pit of his career begins today. The salvation of Pulp Fiction is just a distant light for him.
50. Dirty Dancing (1987): Jennifer Grey, Patrick Swayze. Tagline: "Dancing to the beat of their hearts." One critic said: "This might have been a decent movie if it had allowed itself to be about anything."
49. Quicksilver (1986): Kevin Bacon, Jami Gertz. Tagline: "Winning is a feeling you never lose." One critic said: "It's enough to give eighties nostalgia a bad name."
48. Look Who's Talking (1989): John Travolta, Kirstie Alley. Tagline: "He's hip, he's cool, and he's only 3 months old." One critic said: "This flabby comedy ... deserves only one thing: to fall on its fat one."
47. Tarzan, The Ape Man (1981): Bo Derek, Richard Harris. Tagline: "Unlike any other "Tarzan" you've ever seen!" One critic said: "This could be really funny if the comedy were intentional. Sadly, it's not."
46. Going Overboard! (1989): Burt Young, Adam Sandler. Tagline: "The love boat was never quite like this." One critic said: " It makes Billy Madison seem like Citizen Kane."
45. The Toy (1982): Richard Pryor, Jackie Gleason. Tagline: "When Jackie Gleason told his son he could have any present he wanted, he picked the most outrageous gift of all... Richard Pryor." One critic said: "Heavy-handed social commentary, cheesy slapstick and kiddie comedy aren’t the most compatible of components to shoehorn into one movie."
44. Best Defense (1984): Dudley Moore, Eddie Murphy. Tagline: "Unfortunately, they're both on our side."Pointless, lifeless, nonsensical."
43. Two of a Kind (1983): John Travolta, Olivia Newton-John. Tagline: "It took a twist of fate to make them two of a kind." One critic said: "Be careful not to keep sharp objects around, or you may find yourself slicing your own ears and eyes out to keep yourself from having to endure anymore of this travesty than you really have to."
42. Flash Gordon (1980): Sam J. Jones, Melody Anderson. Tagline: "He'll save every one of us!" One critic said: "Is all of this ridiculous? Of course. Is it fun? Yeah, sort of, it is."
41. Best of the Best (1989): Eric Roberts, James Earl Jones. Tagline: "A team is not a team if you don't give a damn about each other." One critic said: "A resounding defeat that was never really close."