Weird Al working on movie for Cartoon Network (and top 5 forgotten Weird Al songs)
"Without going into too much detail, the good folks at Cartoon Network decided that they liked me and wanted me to provide some content for them," Weird Al writes on his blog. "So after a couple years (yes, really) of the lawyers going back and forth, we finalized a deal – now all I have to do is start making stuff!"
Weird Al wouldn't star in the film. Rather he'd have a guest or supporting role, according to an article in Broadcasting & Cable. Work can't start until the fall, because he's reportedly on tour. (Though no tour dates show up on his Web site. Oh well.)
Weird Al won't say what the movie is about, only that there is a script and that it will probably focus on a teenage character. He will direct it.
"I’ve directed a lot of music videos as well as the Al’s Brain 3-D attraction and the Spy Hard title sequence, but I’ve never shot an entire feature film, so this will be a big first for me," he writes.
TOP 5 FORGOTTEN WEIRD AL SONGS FROM THE '80s:
5. I WANT A NEW DUCK (1985): "I want a new duck. One that won't steal my beer. One that won't stick his bill in my mail. One that knows the duck stops here." [Listen]
4. I THINK I'M A CLONE NOW (1988): "I think I'm a clone now. There's always two of me just a-hangin' around. I think I'm a clone now. 'Cause every chromosome is a hand-me-down." [Listen]
3. GIRLS JUST WANT TO HAVE LUNCH (1985): "She eats like she got a hole in her neck. And I'm the one that always gets stuck with the check. Can't figure out how come they don't weigh a ton. Oh, girls, they want to have lunch." [Listen]
2. KING OF SUEDE (1984): "Our prices are low, my staff is underpaid. You can buy off the rack, or have it custom made, And it's all guaranteed to never shrink or fade, 'Cause of my reputation as the King of Suede." [Listen]
1. THIS SONG'S JUST SIX WORDS LONG (1988): "I know that you're probably sore. 'Cause I didn't write any more. I just didn't get to complete it. So that's why I gotta repeat it." [Listen]