What are you, people? On dope? Top 5 memorable pot scenes of the '80s
Pot movies of the '80s? To be honest, I'm proud to say that stoner comedy was a phenomenon that largely missed our decade. Cheech and Chong were coming off their high when the decade started, and the Judd Apatow era was still 20 years away.
But, with today being 4/20 and all, I rolled together what I could find and I'm ready to light a match to today's top 5 list. Special thanks to the gang at the Stuck in the '80s Facebook page for filling in the blanks. My short-term memory isn't what it used to be, I guess.
TOP 5 MEMORABLE POT SCENES OF THE '80s:
5. ZAPPED (1982): Bet you forgot about this one. Scott Baio plays a nerd who gains telekinetic powers after his super-growth formula for marijuana explodes. Between co-stars Willie Aames and Scatman Crothers, more pot is utilized in this flick than anything short of Pineapple Express.
4. CHEECH AND CHONG'S NICE DREAMS (1981): The official stoners of the seventies were coasting on the same plot over and over again when they played ice cream vendors who make (and lose) a fortune selling weed with an unusual side effect.
3. CADDYSHACK (1980): Well, ahoy polloi. Did you forget Bill Murray and Chevy Chase's great scene here? "This is a cross of Bluegrass, Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent, and Northern California Sensemilia. The amazing stuff about this is, that you can play 36 holes on it in the afternoon, take it home and just get stoned to the bejeezus-belt that night on this stuff."
2. THE BREAKFAST CLUB (1985): A John Hughes film about drugs? Not really, but it does have one of the funniest pot scenes of the '80s. "Chicks cannot hold their smoke, dat's what it is."
1. FAST TIMES AT RIDGEMONT HIGH (1982): Never mind that Jeff Spicoli has been stoned since the third grade. And that people on 'ludes should not drive. Or that horrific scene where the Van-wearing truants fall out of the smoke-filled VW van. (Bonus points if you can name Sean Penn's two cohorts in there.) All we need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and we're fine.