Whatever happened to Eddie Murphy?
Remember that hilarious young comedian of the 80s? The genius behind the comedy specials Delirious and Raw. Axel Foley (Beverly Hills Cop). Billy Ray Valentine (Trading Places). Heck, even Prince Akeem in Coming to America. Yep, Eddie Murphy.
He's known today -- not for the better -- as Pluto Nash and Dr. Doolittle. What a sad turn of events for the actor, who turns 45 years old today. Once poised to take over the head of the class as the next Richard Pryor, today he's more likely to be the next Andrew Dice Clay.
Eddie! The family friendly films aren't cutting it! Kiss and make up with your old Saturday Night Live pals and let's get back to business.
In the meantime, in memory of a career that once looked infallible...
Top 5 Eddie Murphy movies of the 80s:
5. Coming to America: "The Giants triumphed by kicking a pigskin ball through a big H. A most ripping victory."
4. Beverly Hills Cop: "This is the cleanest and nicest police car I've ever been in my life."
3. 48 Hours: "I want the rest of you cowboys to know something, there's a new sheriff in town."
2. Trading Places: "I'm a karate man, see! And a karate man bruises on the inside!"
1. Delirious: "Hey boy, hey boy! Ya look mighty cute in them jeans."