What's Cameron Crowe been up to? A bio-pic on Marvin Gaye
Say Anything director Cameron Crowe has been awfully quiet since his last film Elizabethtown hit theater screens five years ago. Turns out he's been working on two things: a documentary on Pearl Jam (yawn) and a bio-pic about Marvin Gaye.
"The filmmaker behind such music-driven pics as Singles and Almost Famous has been working very quietly for three and a half years to align the key elements on a pic about Motown singer Marvin Gaye," Variety reports. "Despite securing extensive music rights and the full cooperation of Motown founder Berry Gordy Jr., the project, with Scott Rudin attached as producer, is being reconceived until Crowe and Sony can come to terms on a budget and a star (Will Smith, who has an ongoing relationship with Sony, declined the part after much discussion)."
I think Will Smith would be a bad idea anyway. No offense to the Fresh Prince, but his take on Ali had me snoozing 20 minutes into the movie.
And speaking of Gaye, what timing! Just click here to download our latest podcast: Top 10 Makeout Songs of the '80s. And of course, Marvin made the list.
TOP 5 MUSIC BIO-PICS OF THE '80s:
5. GREAT BALLS OF FIRE (1989): Dennis Quaid as Jerry Lee Lewis. [Trailer]
4. COAL MINER'S DAUGHTER (1980): Sissy Spacek as Loretta Lynn. [Trailer]
3. BIRD (1988): Forrest Whitacker as Charlie Parker. [Trailer]
2. LA BAMBA (1987): Lou Diamond Phillips as Ritchie Valens. [Trailer]
1. SID & NANCY (1986): Gary Oldman as Sid Vicious. [Trailer]