Where have you gone, Mr. Cusack?
Say what you want about Tom Cruise, Tom Hanks or Molly Ringwald. To some of us, the great movies of the 80s belong to our Chi-town buddy John Cusack. His latest flick, Must Love Dogs, just came out. The buzz so far is that it's a little more mainstream than the titles that earned him a loyal cult following (Better Off Dead, High Fidelity, etc). It earned an above average review from the Times. But decide for yourself.
In the meantime, here's my top 5 must-see Cusack film gems:
1) Better Off Dead: "I'm really sorry your mom blew up, Ricky."
2) The Sure Thing: "Who invented liquid soap and why?"
3) High Fidelity: "If you really wanted to screw me up, you should have gotten to me earlier!"
4) True Colors: "Don't ... get ... caught."
5) Say Anything: "I hearby surrender my duties as keymaster."
This week's trivia question: Name the first movie in which John co-starred with his sister Joan.