Where's 'Lloyd' when we need him most?
Our hero John Cusack has a new flick out -- the name goes something like "Martian Child" or "Julia Child" or some variation thereof. Will the Stuck in the 80s go see it? Probably. We need our Cusack fix any way we can get it.
But let me ask you this? How much longer do we have to wait for another brilliant Cusack movie from days of yore? And I don't even mean exclusively 80s here. I'll take another "High Fidelity" over "Must Love Dogs" any day. Give me another "Max" over "Serendipity." And I'll go as far as to take "Pushing Tin" over "America's Sweethearts."
I know the 41-year-old Cusack isn't going to get any choice "Lloyd Dobler" roles in the near future. That role in 1989's "Say Anything" has to be put up high on a shelf, under glass, for future teen actors to drool over.
One popular story on the blogs has it that a girl once came up to Cusack in a bar after "Say Anything" came out and asked him, "Are you Lloyd?" Cusack's reply: "On my better days."
Sappy romantic-comedies seem to be the fate of poor Dobler these days. Much against his character's creed, Cusack is now left with a job of selling anything, buying anything or processing anything. With Martian Child, he's probably selling something bought or processing something sold, buying something sold or processed ... you get the picture.
Come on, Cusack! Try kick-boxing ... sport of the future!
TOP 5 FAVORITE ROLES OF JOHN CUSACK:
5. Rob Gordon (High Fidelity): "I've been listening to my gut since I was 14 years old, and frankly speaking, I've come to the conclusion that my guts have s--t for brains. "
4. Buck Weaver (Eight Men Out): "Those fellas are all gone now."
3. Walter Gibson (The Sure Thing): "Didn't you ever get really s--tfaced and maybe make a complete fool of yourself and still have an excellent time?"
2. Lane Meyer (Better Off Dead): "Gee, I'm real sorry your mom blew up, Ricky."
1. Lloyd Dobler (Say Anything): "If you guys know so much about women, how come you're here at like the Gas 'n' Sip on a Saturday night completely alone drinking beers with no women anywhere?"