If lovin' Arsenio Hall is wrong, I don't wanna be right!
Arsenio Hall returns to late night television night, and not one decade too soon. Seriously, what happened? I'm no creature of late night, but when I did manage to stay awake in 1989, I watched Arsenio. Why? Because I'd already been watching him for years and didn't know it.
Arsenio had been kicking around in our decade since 1982 when he played a variety of roles on TV's Movie Macabre. Or maybe you caught his big-screen debut as "Apartment Victim" in 1987's Amazon Women on the Moon. Nah, you'll probably sprain your brain if you go back further than Arsenio Hall as "Semmi" in 1988's Coming to America with Eddie Murphy.
Technically though, Arsenio gets credit for four roles in that flick: Semmi, Extremely Ugly Girl, Morris and Rev. Brown. Classic.
Say what you like about Eddie Murphy in Coming to America, but I thought Arsenio got the biggest laughs as Rev. Brown. Had he stayed in movies, I think he coulda been a contender.
TOP 5 ARSENIO HALL LINES FROM COMING TO AMERICA:
5. "Girl, you look so good, someone ought to put you on a plate and sop you up with a biscuit."
4. "Apparently these are the best women Queens has to offer. Pick one and let's go home."
3. "He helped Joshua fight the battle of Jericho, he helped Daniel get out the lion's den, he helped Gilligan get off the island."
2. "Freeze you diseased rhinoceros pizzle!"
1. "If lovin' the lord is wrong, I don't want to be right."