No keymaster this time: Rick Moranis turns down role in Ghostbusters remake
I do not believe, for one second, that Ghostbusters 3 will be a movie worth watching. And apparently Rick Moranis doesn't believe it's a movie worth acting in: The Hollywood Reporter says Moranis turned down the chance to reprise his role as the nerdy accountant Louis Tully in the 2016 remake.
"I wish them well. I hope it's terrific," Moranis, 62, told the newspaper in a long, in-depth interview that's worth your time to read. "But it just makes no sense to me. Why would I do just one day of shooting on something I did 30 years ago?"
The new Ghostbusters film (which is actually just called Ghostbusters and not Ghostbusters 3) will feature an all-female team of supernatural crime fighters, including Kristen Wiig and Melissa McCarthy. Original cast members Bill Murray, Sigourney Weaver and Dan Aykroyd (who is co-writing the reboot) are also scheduled to appear, but it's not clear how much they'll appear in the film.
"It's hard to come up with original material," Moranis said of Hollywood's attempt to remake its past. "Occasionally, they get it right or else they wouldn't attempt to do these things. I'm surprised that Disney hasn't done Honey, I Shrunk the Grandkids. But I'm happy with the things I said yes to, and I'm very happy with the many things I've said no to. Yes, I am picky, and I'll continue to be picky. Picky has worked for me."
TOP 5 RICK MORANIS QUOTES FROM GHOSTBUSTERS:
5. "I am Vinz, Vinz Clortho, Keymaster of Gozer. Volguus Zildrohar, Lord of the Sebouillia. Are you the Gatekeeper?"
4. "Okay, who brought the dog?"
3. "I taped a 20-minute workout and played it back at high speed on my machine so it only took 10 minutes. I got a great workout."
2. "Many Shuvs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Slor that day, I can tell you!"
1. "Boy, the superintendent's gonna be pissed!"