'Starman' remake in the works from 'Night at the Museum' director
Hollywood has really spaced out with this reboot idea: The Hollywood Reporter says a remake of 1984’s Starman is now in the works with Shawn Levy (Night at the Museum) set to direct. Let’s hope Levy doesn’t take the Jeff Bridges and Karen Allen roles and turn them into tiny diorama figurines.
The original flick followed an alien (Bridges) who has come to Earth in response to the invitation found on a phonograph record installed on the Voyager 2 probe. To adjust to life here, the alien transforms into a human using the DNA from a deceased man’s lock of hair that he founds in a house. The man’s widow (Allen) watches the transformation in horror and then becomes the alien’s unwilling accomplice as he attempts to find a way back home before authorities find him first.
Wow, when you explain it like that it’s a wonder we enjoyed the film at all. But Starman was indeed a hit, in no small thanks due to the understated direction of John Carpenter. Bridges himself would land Oscar and Golden Globe nominations for best actor. (He would lose to F. Murray Abraham for Amadeus in both contests.)
Arash Amel (Grace of Monaco) is writing the script for Starman remake. No casting news or release date is available yet.
TOP 5 MEMORABLE QUOTES FROM STARMAN:
5. “Do you seriously expect me to tell the President that an alien has landed, assumed the identity of a dead housepainter from Madison, Wisconsin and is presently out tooling around the countryside in a hopped up orange and black 1977 Mustang?”
4. “I watched you very carefully. Red light stop, green light go, yellow light go very fast.”
3. “I gave you a baby tonight.”
2. “Love is, um, it's when you care more for someone else than you do yourself.”
1. “You are a strange species. Not like any other. And you'd be surprised how many there are. Intelligent but savage. Shall I tell you what I find beautiful about you?
You are at your very best when things are worst.”