The Cars, Cheap Trick among nominees for Rock and Roll Hall of Fame
The yearly disappointment known as the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame nominations is happening again this morning. Let's get the bad news out of the way first: No Duran Duran. No Journey. No Styx. So obviously no smarts again on the part of the buffoons in Cleveland (and their deranged puppetmasters at Rolling Stone).
Still, '80s fans aren't without some names to celebrate. These '80s acts are among the nominees: Chicago, Cheap Trick, The Cars, Chaka Khan, Janet Jackson, Los Lobos, Steve Miller, N.W.A., The Smiths and Yes.
Hard to believe Yes hasn't been inducted yet. Then again, we know what music critics think of prog-rock. Los Lobos is an interesting pick. If I'm deciding, I put Yes, The Cars and Cheap Trick in the "sure thing" category.
Other nominees include Deep Purple, Chic, The J.B.'s, Nine Inch Nails and The Spinners.
The public can vote for their 5 favorite artists at rockhall.com until Dec. 9. The inductees will be announced later that month. I have cast my ballot for: The Cars, Cheap Trick, Chicago, Chic and Yes.
As of 11 a.m., the voting results so far:
- Janet Jackson 17.42% (78240 votes)
- Chicago 10.25% (46055 votes)
- Chaka Khan 10.05% (45146 votes)
- Cheap Trick 8.34% (37447 votes)
- The Cars 7.73% (34734 votes)
- Deep Purple 7.72% (34663 votes)
- Yes 7.63% (34288 votes)
- Steve Miller 7.30% (32787 votes)
- The Spinners 5.34% (23993 votes)
- N.W.A 4.72% (21209 votes)
- Nine Inch Nails 3.81% (17122 votes)
- Chic 3.81% (17107 votes)
- The Smiths 3.22% (14443 votes)
- Los Lobos 1.83% (8229 votes)
- The J.B.'s 0.84% (3767 votes)