Clear88° FULL FORECASTClear88° FULL FORECAST
Make us your home page
Instagram

Bay Buzz

The staff of the Tampa Bay Times

St. Petersburg's recycling program bests expectations

25

January

Last March, when city officials were prepping City Council members on the roll out of the long-awaited recycling program, Darden Rice asked how many of the city’s 81,000 or so households were expected to participate.

After the first year, city officials said, they hoped to boost participation by 10 percent or 800 more households than the 8,000 that already voluntarily recycled with a private company.

“I think we can do a little bit better,” Rice deadpanned.

Turns out, she was right. In fact, the city did a lot better. In December, 50.4 percent of the city’s households recycled.

“I think there was a lot of pent-up demand. A lot of people wanted to recycle, but the city didn’t offer them the opportunity,” said Neighborhood Affairs Director Mike Dove, who took over the program a few months after its initially bumpy debut at the end of June.

The city hoped to recycle 9,800 tons in the first year. So far, it’s on pace to top 12,000.

And as Mayor Rick Kriseman mentioned in his state of the city speech last week, only 7 percent of the city’s recyclables are considered contaminated by the processor, far below the projected rate of 20 percent.

That has saved the city money, but overall the program hasn’t generated much cash: about $63,000 in the first six months.

But the city has saved between $45,602 and $62,803 each month by avoiding tipping fees at the county landfill during that same period.

The city started alley pickups for 31,000 households this week. The initial refusal to do so probably helped fuel the demise of former Public Works Director Mike Connors. When Dove took over the fledgling program in August, he quickly reversed course, obtaining smaller trucks and trimming back growth in alleys.

What had been a simmering discontent with the city’s policy during the summer turned into an applause line at Kriseman’s speech when he asked the neighborhood association presidents in Kenwood and Old Northeast to stand for their part in revamping the program.

Now, it’s on to the second phase: larger apartment complexes and condos. Dove is working on a strategic plan to serve the 46,423 units at 903 sites around the city.

The city will gradually expand service to apartments or condo complexes with more than five units, probably starting this spring.

Dove hopes to have the details for the council’s Public Service and Infrastructure Committee in March.

 

[Last modified: Monday, January 25, 2016 4:22pm]

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...