U.S. House Democratic leader Nancy Pelosi to visit Tampa Monday
U.S. House of Representatives Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi will speak in Tampa Monday afternoon on an economic agenda for women at the Children's Board of Hillsborough County.
The office of U.S. Rep. Kathy Castor, D-Tampa, said Pelosi will discuss issues like equal pay, paid family leave and medical leave and affordable child care as part of an initiative called "When Women Succeed, America Succeeds." More than 100 women from around the Tampa Bay area have been invited to the event, which is not open to the public.
Castor's office said a variety of disparities drive the discussion:
• Women make 77 cents for every dollar a man makes.
• Women account for two-thirds of minimum wage workers.
• The average revenue of businesses owned by women is 27 percent of the average revenue of businesses owned by men.
• Nearly half of all workers are women.
• 40 percent of working women are the primary breadwinners in their families.
For more information, visit democraticleader.gov/Women_Succeed