Sunday, November 18, 2018
Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Even bigger: Bucs TE Antony Auclair up to 270 for 2nd NFL season

A year ago, when Antony Auclair made the Bucs' roster as an undrafted rookie, the Canadian import was already the largest tight end at 6-foot-6 and 256 pounds.

That's even more the case now as he heads into his second season with the confidence that comes with a year in an NFL workout regimen.

"I put on 14 pounds. I was 256 last year, and now I'm 270," the 25-year-old Auclair said. "I can shield the defender, and I'm bigger on blocks."

Auclair was inactive for eight of his first nine games last season, but then dressed for his last seven, catching two passes for 25 yards. He said the familiarity of spending a year, not only with the Bucs but in the United States, has helped him immensely.

"It's a completely different world," said Auclair, still proudly wearing a "Rouge et Or" (red and gold) shirt from Université Laval, where he attended in Quebec. "I've got a place to stay. I know my teammates. I know the playbook, and I'm more confident than last year for sure. My English got better too, and that's a big thing."

The Bucs have two elite tight ends in O.J. Howard and Cameron Brate, who each had six touchdown catches last season, but Auclair is eager to show where he's improved since his rookie year.

"I want to be more consistent," he said. "I think that's really important in this league. I want to be really consistent blocking for sure, and I want to be a better route runner, better at catching the ball."

Bucs coach Dirk Koetter said Auclair's strength has been his blocking, but he's working to become a more complete tight end.

"All these tight ends, they don't want to be categorized. They want to do everything," Koetter said. "They want to be part O.J. Howard, part Cam Brate and Antony's working hard at his game. He's been getting more reps lately and taking advantage of it."

Auclair had one catch for 5 yards in Thursday's preseason opener at Miami, and said this week's joint practices with the Titans as he works to understand a new defense and how it might be exploited.

"I got surprised a little bit in the first game with different looks," he said. "What I have to get better at is identifying those looks and getting better. This week is a totally different defense, a good way for me to get better."

Auclair and Alan Cross look to have the backup tight end jobs pretty well wrapped up, but Auclair said that hasn't changed from last year is his approach to battling for a roster spot.

"I'm still playing as if I have to make the team, because nothing is guaranteed in this league," he said. "But I'm really excited. I think we're doing good things right now."

Contact Greg Auman at [email protected] and (813) 310-2690. Follow @gregauman.

Comments
Bucs-Giants: The only thing changing in Tampa Bay is the quarterback

Bucs-Giants: The only thing changing in Tampa Bay is the quarterback

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. — It was a close call, Dirk Koetter said. It also was absolutely the wrong one.The Bucs head coach started Ryan Fitzpatrick in Sunday's 38-35 loss to the New York Giants, a game that ended with Jameis Winston coming off th...
Updated: 3 hours ago
Bucs-Giants: Grading Tampa Bayís 38-35 loss

Bucs-Giants: Grading Tampa Bayís 38-35 loss

Jameis Winston rallied the Bucs after Fitzpatrick was benched in the third quarter.
Updated: 3 hours ago
Bucs-Giants: Jason Pierre-Paulís Meadowlands return lives up to the hype

Bucs-Giants: Jason Pierre-Paulís Meadowlands return lives up to the hype

The Bucs defensive end was received well, even cheered by Giants fans at times, while he logged 1-1/2 sacks of Eli Manning and seven tackles.
Updated: 4 hours ago
Bucs-Giants: Tight end O.J. Howard does not return after injuring ankle

Bucs-Giants: Tight end O.J. Howard does not return after injuring ankle

O.J. Howard, who was second on the Bucs with 78 receiving yards on six receptions, was injured on the Bucs' final touchdown drive of the day.
Updated: 5 hours ago
Defense puts Bucs in hole by allowing touchdowns on Giantsí first two drives

Defense puts Bucs in hole by allowing touchdowns on Giantsí first two drives

159 of the Giants' 359 yards came on the first two drives, which ended in touchdowns that put the Bucs in a 14-0 hole.
Updated: 5 hours ago
Giantsí Odell Beckham, Jr., does his best Warren Sapp dance after scoring against Bucs

After catching an eight-yard touchdown pass from Eli Manning late in the third quarter, Odell Beckham, Jr., had a special Bucs-themed celebration planned.
Updated: 6 hours ago
Bucs-Giants: Running back Peyton Barber has career day in Tampa Bayís loss

Bucs-Giants: Running back Peyton Barber has career day in Tampa Bayís loss

Peyton Barber ran for a career-high 106 yards and a touchdown on 18 carries, the second career 100-yard game for the third-year back.
Updated: 7 hours ago
Giants QB Eli Manning is the latest to have a career day against the Buccaneers defense

A by-the-numbers look at the Bucs' 38-35 loss to the Giants on Sunday.
Updated: 8 hours ago
Bucs rally late as Jameis Winston returns but fall to Giants, 38-35

Bucs rally late as Jameis Winston returns but fall to Giants, 38-35

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. — The Bucs' muddled quarterback situation became even more messy Sunday, and in the process, their season continues to head south following an 38-35 loss to the New York Giants at MetLife StadiumIn his first game action si...
Updated: 8 hours ago
Bucs trail Giants 14-7 at halftime in The Meadowlands

Bucs trail Giants 14-7 at halftime in The Meadowlands

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. — The Bucs ended their streak for red zone futility late in the second quarter of Sunday's game against the New York Giants, but still ended the half with their offense stalled by turnovers.At the half, the Bucs trail the ...
Updated: 11 hours ago