Make us your home page

Bucs Beat

Rick Stroud, Greg Auman and Matt Baker

Bucs G Nicks has recurrence of MRSA

Carl Nicks was previously diagnosed with MRSA during the final week of the preseason and missed the first two games of the regular season.


Carl Nicks was previously diagnosed with MRSA during the final week of the preseason and missed the first two games of the regular season.



Carl Nicks complained to trainers about having a sore left foot when he returned to work Wednesday and was limited in practice.

A culture was taken and on Thursday it revealed that the Bucs guard is suffering from a recurrence of MRSA.

Nicks missed the first three regular season games after being diagnosed with MRSA (Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus) in his left foot during the final week of the preseason.

"This is a recurrence for Carl Nicks of the MRSA, same place, same location," general manager Mark Dominik told reporters Thursday. "From everything we've been told and understand, this does happen, which is why MRSA is a bacteria that is hard to treat. Talking to the infectious disease specialist who's been treating Carl and working with us, with other professionals, he also confirmed he believes strongly this is the same infection he's dealing with."

Two hours earlier, when asked if Nicks could have an infection, Bucs coach Greg Schiano said Thursday, "I'm going to say it's his foot. We're examining everything. It started to bother him, he tells out trainers and we look into it. Now we're doing all the tests you can do to make sure, MRIs and everything.''

The NFLPA has filed a grievance on behalf of Bucs PK Lawrence Tynes, who was placed on the non-football injury list after being diagnosed with MRSA in his right big toe.

The grievance addresses "significant concerns" about the manner in which that player and perhaps other players' safety was handled by the team," NFLPA executive director DeMaurice Smith said last week.

The grievance claims that Tynes was not cultured for MRSA by the team, causing a delay of more than two weeks for treatment to begin, according to a report on CBS sports. Nicks was placed on a battery of antibiotics immediately.

In addition, the NFPA is investigating whether a member of the Bucs' training staff was being treated for MRSA when players reported to training camp, according to the CBS report.

Bucs trainer Todd Toriscelli, who had knee surgery in the off-season, has been dealing with an infection since June, Fox Sports reported Aug. 31.

"The individuals that have tested positive for staph or MRSA, we feel very strongly about where it came from," Tynes told Fox.

Asked about a report claiming Toriscelli may be dealing with MRSA, Tynes said "I'm not a doctor. I just feel bad he's been dealing with a serious infection of some sort for the past four months."

Dr. Douglas Holt, a professor of medicine and Director of the Division of Infectious Disease and International Medicine at USF, said while it's rare, a Methicillin Sensitive Staphylococcus Aureus (or non-resistant staph) can mutate over time in some individuals and become MRSA.

"You can get a sensitive staph from somewhere, it can be from another person or in a hospital or health care facility, and whatever is going on in your body can be something that makes that organisim mutate,'' Holt said. "Usually, that's separated by long time periods. It would take some time for the mutations to get to the point where the (MRSA) then becomes the dominant staph on your body.''

Tynes still has a PICC line and is receiving antibiotics, his agent Ken Harris confirmed. It is scheduled to be removed next week.

Nicks was told by Bucs team doctors he was cleared to resume practicing Sept. 11. "I'm MRSA clear,'' Nicks said smiling.

But apparently, that diagnosis was wrong.

"When we heard the news about Carl today, are first reaction was we're praying for him,'' Harris said. "The second reaction was if anybody wants to know why Lawrence sought medical advice and followed every procedure to a tee, this is the reasion why.''

Nicks played in only seven games last season after signing as a free agent from the Saints. He suffered a plantar plate injury that required surgery and was placed on injured reserve.

Tynes, who was signed in June, developed an in-grown toenail on his right foot while kicking for the Bucs in training camp. Ten days later, he was diagnosed with MRSA.

After several surgical procedures, Tynes was placed on the Non-Football Injury list. Although the Bucs agreed to play his salary for 2012, they refused to place him on Injured Reserve.

Unlike Nicks, Tynes has been unable to play or practice and returned home to Kansas City for treatment.



[Last modified: Thursday, October 10, 2013 6:54pm]


Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours