Alstott indicates career likely is over
Bucs fullback Mike Alstott hasn't formally announced anything yet, but he indicated on a local radio show Wednesday morning his playing career is over.
Asked about his future while promoting a charity event on WDAE 620-AM, Alstott made it clear he has no plans to undergo a second neck operation in order to play next season.
"I guess you can read between the lines,'' Alstott said. "Couple neck injuries. I have a young family and a life to live, so I can't be selfish in that regard and say, 'Hey, let me go get some type of surgery or something like that and try to fix the thing and go on.
''I'm having fun doing what I'm doing right now with some other activities I'm involved with -- hanging out with family, being a part of my kids' lives in an everyday aspect.''
Asked if a second operation would make it possible for him to resume his playing career, Alstott said, "it wouldn't be worth it.''
During a tearful news conference in August, Alstott announced that he had suffered a second neck injury that would force him to go on injured reserve, ending his season. He stopped short of saying that the injury could end his 12-year career with the Bucs.
Alstott, 33, had a compressed disc removed and replaced with the vertebrae from a cadaver in 2003. A titanium plate was used to fuse it together.
He said a battery of tests this past fall revealed there was stress to his neck above the previously injured area. Pittsburgh nuerosurgeon Dr. Joe Maroon, who performed Alstott's first surgery, advised him not to play.
After consulting with team trainers, doctors, his family, general manager Bruce Allen and coach Jon Gruden, Alstott agreed the best course of action was for him to be placed on injured reserve.
-- Rick Stroud, Times Staff Writer
(Pictured: While holding his daughter Hannah, Mike Alstott blows a kiss to the crowd gathered in the south endzone tunnel while leaving the field after the Bucs loss to the Seahawks in August. Times photo - James Borchuck. Click to enlarge.)