Barber's one-year deal worth $4-million
Following the regular season finale at New Orleans, Ronde Barber discussed the factors involved in his decision to return for a 15th season.
"It's not all about the money,'' Barber said at the time.
At this point in his career, the chance to win another championship motivates Barber, who agreed to a one-year deal Tuesday. According to information filed with the NFL Player's Association, Barber will earn $4-million in base salary in 2011. The contract is not believed to include a signing bonus, but would be guaranteed if Barber is on the roster once the regular season starts since he is a vested veteran.
Barber will be 36 when the '11 season begins and has no desire to play with another team. But he also is the starting right cornerback, so his salary needed to reflect that fact.
All and all, you can't put a price on Barber's contribution to the defense or his intangibles playing for the youngest team in the NFL.
"He brings a lot of leadership to our football team, as you know, on and off the football field,'' Bucs general manager Mark Dominik said. "He's really learned how to train his body so he can play a long time. I think that's the most amazing thing about Ronde is that he can play out there on an island at his age and play at such as high level the way he did last year again. To surpass 100 tackles again last year and to break some records by Hall of Famers, it's good to have him back. I know we need him and we're glad he decided to come back and play another year and it worked out between the two parties.''