We'll post observations during the game. We welcome your comments. Please leave your name and hometown.
Out -- Davin Joseph, Dave Moore
Questionable -- Dan Buenning, Shelton Quarles
Probable -- Brian Kelly, Cadillac Williams
Doubtful -- LB Edgerton Hartwell
Questionable -- DE John Abraham
Probable -- DE Patrick Kerney, CB DeAngelo Hall
- First bit of bad news: Kelly is out.
- Michael Vick is running free and easy, a little too free and easy.
- First turnover forced by the Bucs defense.
- Hey! It's Joey Galloway! He must be the fastest 34-year-old in the world.
- Shank. Matt Bryant misses from 45 yards.
Falcons, 7-0. Was it pass interference on Ronde Barber? Anyway, Vick finds the edge again for a touchdown.
- Simms finds Galloway, then stops Bucs fans' hearts. A Falcons lineman (Darrell Shropshire)smells the dumpoff to Mike Alstott and nearly intercepts for the sure touchdown.
- During a timeout, Jon Gruden gives Simms an earful.
- Batted Passes Department: 2.
- How long before the Bucs defense gets frustrated? The Falcons' line, plus some offensive misdirection, is creating open spaces for Warrick Dunn and Vick.
- Somebody knocks down Vick: Ryan Nece on a middle blitz.
- A gift: Michael Koenen botches short field goal. Or was it deflected by a Bucs lineman?
- Simms gives it back. A rollout pass to Michael Clayton looks telegraphed and late. D'Angelo Hall intercepts and returns inside Bucs' 20.
Falcons, 14-0. Vick is consistently getting outside the tackles -- a run, then a short pass to Fred McCrary for the score.
- Michael Pittman, who's been a godsend as a kick returner, has been stuffed inside the 20 twice.
- Run squashed for loss, Simms scrambles for life, third batted pass, punt. Oh, boy.
- Bucs are getting no pass rush unless they blitz.
- Simeon Rice spins inside and flushes Vick, but the edge is vacant.
- 30 yards for Dunn. The defense looks lost.
- It could be worse. Koenen blows another short field goal.
- 3:28 left in the first half. Simms needs something positive.
- Hey! Sharp throw and catch, Simms to Clayton.
- Batted passes: 4. But, it's the only incompletion among eight passes so far on this drive.
- Ouch. Simms air-mails pass over Ike Hilliard, who is alone in end zone. The Fox analyst says Simms is rattled.
Falcons, 14-3. Bucs score their first points of 2006. A 70-yard drive.
- Through six quarters: Opponents 41, Bucs 3.
- According to Fox announcers, Falcons have 168 rushing yards.
- We need a distraction. Other scores?
Duh Bears are beating Detroit 24-0.
Eagles 17, Giants 7.
Ravens 16, Raiders 3.
Panthers 10, Vikings 6.
- Bucs drive starts with beautiful pass (Simms' bomb to Galloway), ends with panicky throw that is deflected by a hand, a foot and then intercepted by Atlanta.
- Derrick Brooks intercepts and artfully returns for a touchdown, but then ... illegal block by Nece.
- Another sketchy call hurts Bucs. Nece stopped short of blocking Dunn, who took a dive.
- Dunn's swoon is worth it. The subsequent Bucs' possession ends with a missed FG. Even Bryant, rock-solid last year, is no sure thing.
- That's 20 Bucs offensive series and zero touchdowns.
- Rushing numbers: Dunn 126, Vick 113, Cadillac 37.
- Man, if the Falcons had a kicker. Koenen's third attempt is blocked.
- Batted passes: 5.
- The Falcons are approaching a team record in rushing yards. Booger McFarland has no tackles.
- Check that. Booger bowls over Vick on third down. Here comes Koenen, WHO MISSES AGAIN! The placekickers are a combined 1-for-7.
- Simms roughed on third down. He's a stationary target right now.
- And that's the ballgame. D'Angelo Hall picks off Simms' bomb for Galloway.
- Falcons pass 300 yards rushing.
Photo of Michael Vick by the Times' Bill Serne.
Photo of Derrick Brooks by the Times' Brendan Fitterer.
Photo of Chris Simms by the Times' Bill Serne.
Click on photos to enlarge.