We'll post observations here during the game. We welcome your comments. Please leave your name and hometown.
- Shelton Quarles is inactive for today's game. Barrett Ruud starts at middle linebacker. Let's keep an eye on him.
- Ravens RB Jamal Lewis, photo at left, looks like a load again.
- On third down in red zone, Ravens are beneficiaries of tight pass interference call on Ronde Barber.
7-0, Ravens. Just like that, Baltimore marches 80 yards on the opening possession.
- The Bucs offense goes short run, dropped pass, completion for no gain, punt.
- Steve McNair is part of two fumbles and Ravens lose 20 yards.
- Even with the referees wearing their new jerseys, a drive-altering holding call still looks ugly.
14-0, Ravens. Chris McAllister intercepts Chris Simms and returns 60 yards for a touchdown. The CBS analyst Rich Gannon (who knows something about interceptions) criticizes Simms for not seeing McAllister.
- Three possessions for Bucs, three dropped passes: Mike Alstott, Joey Galloway, Anthony Becht.
- Bucs lose first challenge of season.
- Subtle play by Baltimore punt returner B.J. Sams. It looks like Josh Bidwell's punt might be killed inside the Baltimore 5-yard line, but Sams blocks the Bucs' cover man and the punt dribbles into the end zone. Touchback.
- Other scores of note: Bills 17, Patriots 7 . . . Rams 9, Broncos 0 . . . Falcons 6, Panthers 3 . . . Saints 9, Browns 0 (Reggie Bush has 40 yards on seven carries).
- Back to the game . . . Simms' first completion to a wide receiver is followed by Simms' first ball batted down down by a defensive lineman.
- Since that opening Baltimore drive, the Bucs defense has forced four consecutive punts, three straight possessions without a first down. The Bucs have good field position just before the half but . . .
- Simms' second batted ball is a killer. Haloti Ngata, photo at right, all 340 pounds of him, intercepts and returns 60 yards to the Bucs' 9-yard line.
17-0, Ravens. Field goal means 10 free points for Baltimore.
Halftime. Listen to the boos.
Scores around league: Bills 17, Pats 7 . . . Bengals 17, Chiefs 3 . . . Jets 13, Titans 0 (Vince Young is 3-of-4 but throws an interception) . . . Saints 9, Browns 0 (Reggie Bush has 10 carries, 51 yards) . . . Falcons 13, Panthers 3 (Keyshawn Johnson has one catch for 8 yards).
- Bucs have 62 yards of offense, three first downs, two turnovers.
- To start second half, Ravens LB Bart Scott crushes Cadillac Williams for a 4-yard loss, then sacks Simms for an 11-yard loss. Rich Gannon says Bucs' patchwork offensive line (minus Davin Joseph and Dan Buenning) is having a bad day.
20-0, Ravens. Short field for Ravens offense.
- Three batted balls for Simms.
- Something to cheer about: Alstott takes a pass in the flat, slips a defender for a first down; Simms finds Michael Clayton for 27 yards; Alex Smith turns a checkoff pass into an 18-yard gain.
- Hit of the day: Ray Lewis pancakes Pittman on an incomplete pass.
- Game over? The Bucs turn the ball over on downs inside the Ravens' 10-yard line.
27-0, Ravens. After Simms' third interception, Steve McNair throws his first TD pass.
- The white towel is thrown. Bruce Gradkowski is playing quarterback for Tampa Bay.
- Here are some numbers:
Chris Simms: 17-of-29, 133 yards, three interceptions
Cadillac Williams: 8 carries, 22 yards
Joey Galloway: zero
- As openers go, this ties for second-worst loss.
1996: Packers 34, Bucs 3
1988: Eagles 41, Bucs 14
2006: Ravens 27, Bucs 0
1993: Chiefs 27, Bucs 3
1986: 49ers 31, Bucs 7
1998: Vikings 31, Bucs 7
- This was the third shutout loss on opening day. The others:
1976: Oilers 20, Bucs 0
1983: Lions 11, Bucs 0