Rice signs with Broncos
The altitude has really helped Simeon Rice's attitude.
Rice, 33, signed a one-year contract Monday believed to be worth $3-million guaranteed with a chance to earn another $1-million in incentives.
That's slightly less than Rice turned down to remain with the Bucs. He failed a physical with Tampa Bay on July 26. When he refused to take a $2.5-million pay cut from his $7.25-million salary, Rice was released.
Rice chose the Broncos over the St. Louis Rams. There were questions about the health of Rice's shoulder after he underwent season-ending surgery in 2006. But Rice passed a physical for the Rams and the Broncos.
Rice will be reunited with another Bucs castoff, safety John Lynch, who was named to three straight Pro Bowls since being released by Tampa Bay.
""This team is special,''' Rice said. ""It's a special situation. I've never been around a place like this. John (Lynch) loves it here. It's special man. Talked to (defensive tackle) Sam Adams and everybody is excited. He said, "First of all, we need you. we want you. It's especially cool because of the the opportunity to come in here and do what you do and get off. These cats will love it.''
Rice will return to his role a starting right defensive end playing opposite either John Engelberger or Elvis Dumervil. Top picks Jarvis Moss and Tim Crowder also are expected to see playing time. The Rams had looked at Rice as a possible third down pass rusher.
Rice's agent, Tom Condon, had been in contact with the Bucs. But Rice said Tampa Bay officials indicated they didn't want him back because of derogatory comments he made towards coach Jon Gruden following his release.
Rice has 121 career sacks, the second-most among active players. He suffered a shoulder injury last season and was limited to a career-low two sacks in just eight games.