Simms to stay with Bucs
Chris Simms is a Buccaneer - for now.
The fifth-year quarterback is expected to be among the 53 players turned into the league office by the Bucs Saturday.
It was a tough decision for the Bucs because Simms, 27, had just six snaps in the preseason in a game at Miami last week. He did not play Thursday night due to a hip strain.
How long Simms will remain on the team is uncertain. The Bucs signed Simms to a two-year, $7-million contract in December that included $5-million in guarantees.
The Bucs most likely will go with four quarterbacks - starter Jeff Garcia, backups Luke McCown, Bruce Gradkowski and Simms.
It's an unusual move for a NFL team to keep that many quarterbacks. Some teams only carry just two.
But the Bucs believe they have some value in Simms. In addition to the lucrative contract, he has spent five years in Jon Gruden's system.
But Simms has struggled to recover from his splenectomy last September. He began training camp with a sore left elbow and rarely got reps in 11-on-11 before the team left Lake Buena Vista.
In the last two weeks, Simms has shown progress and said Thursday night he could be ready to play in the Sept. 9 opener at Seattle.
"I'm not far off. I'm not going to say I was 100 percent myself last week when I played, but I'm getting there,'' Simms said Thursday. "And I think if I continue to work and do the rehab and stuff that I've been doing, we've got a pretty good hold on this thing right now and I'm doing the right exercises. I've really felt a difference the last few weeks.''