Licht: Bucs weighing trade interest in QB Mike Glennon
The quarterback carousel still is spinning in the NFL and several teams continue to show interest in trading for Bucs backup Mike Glennon, general manager Jason Licht confirmed at the NFL owners meeting Monday.
Glennon, who did not play a snap behind starter Jameis Winston last season, will become an unrestricted free agent next spring. Licht said trade discussions could continue until the NFL draft.
"There's always interest. It's not a secret,'' Licht said. "There's always some interest. We'll see how it goes. We've got some time and this is something that could go all the way to the draft.''
The New York Jets, who have been unable to re-sign starter Ryan Fitzpatrick, reportedly have inquired about Glennon. But Licht refuted a claim by WFAN host Mike Francesa that the Bucs were demanding a No. 1 pick for Glennon.
"That's not true,'' Licht said. "I mean, I tell them what I think he's worth. I tell that to teams. I say, "this is what we might consider.' But that's not necessarily true. I don't want to discuss that. I don't want to go public with that.
"It's false that I've been calling every team saying I need a first (round pick). I haven't been calling every team. Even with those that have inquired, it's been 'Let's keep talking.' It hasn't been, "we need this.'
Licht said the Bucs also would be content with keeping Glennon on the roster to backup Winston. The Bucs also have third string quarterback Ryan Griffin, who they claimed off waivers from New Orleans last year. If Glennon left following 2016, the Bucs likely would receive a fourth or fifth-round compensatory pick.
"Right now, we're happy (Glennon) is on our roster,'' Licht said. "I feel very good about the fact we have two good young quarterbacks.''