Penn unhappy with how things ended with Bucs
Former Bucs tackle Donald Penn has landed with the Raiders after being released by Tampa Bay last week, but he told Sirius XM radio on Wednesday that he didn't like what he said was a lack of communication from the team on the way out the door.
"The way Tampa did me kind of left a bad taste in my mouth. I kind of wish they were on the schedule," said Penn, talking on Sirius' "Late Hits" show with Alex Marvez and Gil Brandt. "I still appreciate what I did there in my eight years, appreciate the owners and everybody that gave me my opportunity. ... The way they did it at the end, it wasn't right in my book."
Penn was due to make $6.75 million in 2014, and his release made it easier for the Bucs to sign free-agent tackle Anthony Collins, who signed a five-year, $30-million contract. Penn signed a two-year deal with Oakland, where he'll reportedly make $9-million total.
Penn had started 108 consecutive games for the Bucs, but there had been considerable speculation that he could be released to free up room under the salary cap. Still, he said he had talked with Smith and wasn't told anything by the Bucs about making a change until 15 minutes before Collins was introduced as the new starting left tackle.
"I guess that's the way the new regime's going to do things," Penn said. "My hat's off to them. I love the Buccaneer fans. I love my old teammates that still play for them. I wish them all the best of luck."