Scattered Clouds81° WeatherScattered Clouds81° Weather

No more scholarships, USF tells RB Bellamy

29

January

Adaris Bellamy was the first player to commit to USF's Class of 2009 and accept a scholarship offer to play for the Bulls. Now the former Dunedin running back, placed at a prep school in Virginia by USF last fall after he did not qualify academically, has been cleared by the NCAA but was told Friday that USF no longer had a scholarship available to him this year.

Dunedin coach Mark Everett said he was disappointed by USF's news, given that the Bulls had signed Bellamy last year and placed him at Fork Union Military Academy with the hopes of having him join the team this summer. Bellamy was able to raise his grade-point average and entrance exam scores such that he has now been cleared through the NCAA Clearinghouse according to Everett, but doesn't have a place at USF.

USF still has scholarships in play, with several recruits making official campus visits this weekend, but it's likely the Bulls mean they do not have scholarships available for any running backs -- the Bulls have three in this year's class, and potentially return all eight from this past season.

Bellamy has planned on attending USF since he first committed in March 2008, Everett said. USF could potentially have scholarships open up if current players left the program or other signees failed to qualify academically, but Bellamy would likely have to wait until summer to find out.

Instead, Everett said Bellamy will try to find another program interested in signing the former four-star recruit -- he chose USF in 2008 over schools like Florida, Mississippi, Clemson and Iowa State.

[Last modified: Thursday, May 27, 2010 8:02pm]

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...