Mostly Cloudy72° WeatherMostly Cloudy72° Weather

USF RB Plancher granted 6th year of eligibility

3

March

USF running back Mo Plancher, the team's starter last season, has been granted a sixth year of eligibility by the NCAA, allowing him to return for the 2010 season with the Bulls.

"I have a list of people I want to thank, but at the top of the list has to be (USF Assistant AD for Compliance) Rick Stumpf and (head trainer) Steve Walz for working so hard to get all of my paperwork submitted," Plancher said in a statement. "I have to thank the NCAA for granting me another year and the whole USF family for showing support and believing in me. I am very excited about this upcoming year and I am going to do my best to help this team achieve its goal of a BIG EAST Championship."

Plancher, who was limited by a shoulder injury in 2005 and suffered a season-ending knee injury in the opening quarter of the 2006 season, gives the Bulls another experienced option in a deep backfield, all the more important after last week's dismissal of senior Mike Ford.

Plancher, who graduated in December with a degree in interdisciplinary social sciences, rushed for 581 yards in 2009, the most among USF running backs, along with five touchdowns. He rushed for 322 yards and six touchdowns in 2008.

He'll be one of seven returning scholarship running backs this fall, with senior Jamar Taylor and sophomore Lindsey Lamar expected to be the top challengers for playing time. Sophomore Demetris Murray, junior Richard Kelly, senior Aston Samuels and redshirt freshman Bradley Battles will also be back, and the Bulls also signed three running backs last month who will join the program in August.

Kudos to the Oracle's Phil Neary, who reported Wednesday morning that Plancher had been told by USF officials that he was "95 percent" likely to be granted his sixth year.

[Last modified: Thursday, May 27, 2010 8:14pm]

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...