Flowers enters '17 on brink of Bulls immortality
With each bowl appearance, each bubble screen, each breathtaking scramble, Quinton Flowers seems to propel himself a bit closer to rarefied status in USF lore.
Few will argue Flowers already has secured a spot on the program's version of Mount Rushmore, but what about best Bull ever? Can that be chiseled in stone?
Clearly, that argument will ensue. In the meantime, here are some facts to ponder during those deliberations (presuming Flowers remains at USF for his senior year, which we believe he will).
* With another 10-win season (seemingly do-able if you look at USF's 2017 slate), Flowers ties Marquel Blackwell for the most victories (30) as a USF starting quarterback. Flowers' winning percentage as a starter (20-7, .741) already is best among the school's five winningest quarterbacks.
* Flowers will enter 2017 ranked third on the school's career rushing list (2,594 yards), just behind Andre Hall (2,731) and well behind Marlon Mack (3,609). Of course, he'll have a shot at the school record if Mack opts to turn pro (And no, we've not heard if Mack has reached a decision on his future.)
* He enters his senior season with 46 career touchdown passes, 21 shy of Blackwell's school record. Flowers threw for 22 in 2015 and 24 this past season.
* Barring a switch by Charlie Strong to a pass-centric offense, Flowers likely will finish his career fourth on the Bulls' career passing yardage list. He'll enter 2017 with 5,214 yards, well shy of third-place B.J. Daniels (8,433). Blackwell is the all-time leader (9,108).
* Barring injury, Flowers appears poised to break Matt Grothe's career record for total offense (10,875 yards). He'll enter his senior year with 7,808, meaning he'd need a 3,000-yard season (and change) to overtake Grothe. Flowers finished with 4,337 this past season.
* He'll enter the '17 opener at San Jose State with five consecutive 100-yard rushing efforts, which ties Mack for the school record. Mack had only 50 in the Birmingham Bowl, so Flowers can assume sole possession of that mark with at least 100 against SJSU.
* If USF wins the American Athletic Conference title next season (the Bulls figure to be an overwhelming favorite), Flowers will become the first quarterback to lead the program to a league championship. He also can join Grothe as the only Bulls quarterbacks to start three bowl games.