Get your warrior garb on for weekend holiday sales
The words blaring from my morning television were ominous. Ten shopping days left until Christmas.
I've been sick with the nasty winter flu everyone has for well over a week now and it hampered any hopes I had of squeezing in shopping trips or really doing much of anything other than going to bed at 7:30 like an octogenarian. I'm on the mend, now, though, and I knew it meant only one thing. Not catching up on cleaning, not doing some work around the house, not enjoying a DVR marathon of Intervention or taking the dog to the park. It meant Christmas shopping. Jamming in the mall with thousands of sweaty bodies, getting wrist burn from all the bags. It's going to be like something out of Xena, Warrior Princess.
There's no getting around it, so I'm going to try and make the most of the experience, get a delicious lunch with my mom, be strategic about where to save precious money. Let's all see what sales are cooking this weekend out in retail land:
- Macy's is having Super Saturday, with two day specials on coats, bedding, jewelry, boots, pajamas and robes. And if you shop online, they're offering an extra 20 percent off plus free shipping on orders $99 and higher, and still guaranteeing delivery by Christmas. In store, the best specials are from 7 a.m. to 1 p.m. Grab a savings pass in your Tampa Bay Times A section today, too.
- Sears wont be outdone for Super Saturday, with 60 percent off outerwear, up to 40 percent off fitness equipment (tread carefully, lovebirds), and 30 to 50 percent off tools.
- Dillard's has Jessica Simpson crossbody bags for $49, Vera Bradley bags for $49-$60, Fossil watches with leather straps for $75 and Echo gloves that let you use your smart phone for $32.
- JCPenney has 20 to 30 percent off women's outerwear, 20 percent off jewelry, half off some holiday decor and 20 to 30 percent off some toys.
- Stein Mart opens at 7 a.m. Saturday with 30 to 50 percent off ladies sweaters, quilts for $10-$15, luxurious pet beds for dogs who don't care at half off, and Christmas gewgaws at 60 percent off. And check your Times A section for some coupons for up to 50 percent off clearance, and more.
- Publix liquors are on sale with a coupon from the paper. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. No, really. That's awesome.
- Old Navy sweaters are $15 and up for adults and $10 and up for kids. Performance fleece is on sale for $5 and up. Men's jeans are on sale for $19, and something called "jingle jammies" for kids are $7. Sounds either really cute or really annoying.
- Payless has Christian Siriano shoes (we die) on sale for as low as $26.99, which is good because they can violate the name of the store and cost as much as $50. Also, boots and girls' flats are on sale, as well as stately slippers for the man in your life.
- New York & Company has V-neck sweaters, pleated cardigans, keyhole turtlenecks and velour jackets for $15, plus a peacoat for $49. For online shoppers, it's 50 percent off everything plus free shipping on orders more than $100 for a limited time.
- Barnes & Noble has toys and games on sale, buy two get a third free, plus half off Bibles (yep) and 40 percent off select DVDs and Blu Rays. You can order online and pick up in stores!
- Don't forget your local shops. ARTPool Gallery in St. Petersburg is hosting its Crafty Fest holiday market from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday and Sunday, with more than 40 indie vendors and thousands of gifts. Food, beer and wine will be available. I think I know where I'm stopping Sunday.
Seen any other great sales or events this weekend? Let us know in the comments.
Deal Diva Stephanie
Photo: Xena and Gabs, Times files. Strap on this face tomorrow. You're going to need it.