Make us your home page
Instagram

Sunshine State Report

The latest on college sports in Florida

Attorneys ask for joint dismissal of Jameis Winston civil lawsuits

13

January

Jameis Winston's legal saga is over.

The Bucs quarterback and former Florida State star and the woman who accused him of sexual assault have formally filed for their lawsuits against each other to be dismissed. 

The joint motion for dismissal with prejudice, filed Friday, comes after both sides reached a compromise with contingencies last month. Terms of the settlement have not been disclosed, although Friday's filing says that each party will be responsible for its own attorney fees/costs. 

The latest procedural update ends a case that dates back to a December 2012 off-campus sexual encounter between Winston and Zephyrhills' Erica Kinsman, who were then both freshmen at FSU.

Kinsman accused Winston of rape, but Winston said the sex was consensual. No charges were filed against Winston after investigations by the Tallahassee Police Department and the State Attorney's Office, which reopened the case during FSU's run to the 2013 national title.

Winston was also cleared in FSU's code of conduct investigation. A retired state Supreme Court justice who presided over the hearing found Winston not responsible for violating school policies, saying neither side was stronger than the other.

Kinsman sued Winston two weeks before the Bucs picked him No. 1 overall in the 2015 draft. She accused him of sexual battery, assault, false imprisonment and inflicting emotional distress.

Winston filed a countersuit, alleging that Kinsman defamed him and that her actions "irreparably harmed" his personal and professional lives.

A jury trial at the U.S. District Court in Orlando had been scheduled for April.

[Last modified: Friday, January 13, 2017 6:03pm]

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...