Top 5 best moments on the field
These are the moments that nearly stopped the heart of every Gator fan and then caused them to explode. Those "I remember when..." plays for the Florida football team. Here are our favorites.
Top 5 on-the-field moments for Florida football:
5. In a classic play that made Florida play-by-play announcer Mick Hubert's catch-phrase "Ohhhh My" famous, freshman quarterback Danny Wuerffel, in only his second game, hit former walk-on receiver Chris Doering for a 28-yard touchdown pass (only the second of his career, the first earlier in that same game) with three seconds remaining to give the Gators a 24-20 road win over Kentucky on Sept. 11, 1993. I
4. Trailing rival FSU 29-25 with just under two minutes to go, Florida quarterback Doug Johnson connected on a 63-yard deep curl-and-go spiral pass to Jacquez Green, from the 20 to the FSU 17. That set up Fred Taylor's fourth touchdown run and sealed the 32-29 win for the Gators on Nov. 22, 1997, in front of 85,677 at Florida Field. The loss knocked then-No. 2 FSU out of the race for the national title.
3. Freshman Larry Smith breaks free en route to a 94-yard touchdown run in the Orange Bowl after the 1966 season against Georgia Tech, still a record for that bowl game. But what made the play even more noteworthy was the razor-thin running back out of Robinson High started losing his pants during the run, having to keep them hitched up as he ran.
2. During the 1966 season, QB Steve Spurrier kicks a 40-yard field goal with 2:12 remaining to defeat Auburn 30-27 and clinch the 1966 Heisman Trophy.
1. in the 1996 Sugar Bowl, QB Danny Wuerffel shredded the FSU defense for 306 yards. But his 16-yard scramble to the end zone for a touchdown late in the game secured the national title.