Top 5 bowl victories
The Gators are playing in one of their biggest bowl games in school history on Jan. 2 in Arizona. But if you look to the past, which bowl game so far has been the most important in Gator history?
Here are our top 5 picks:
Top 5 greatest Florida bowl victories:
5. 1966 Orange Bowl: Bobby Dodd's last game as Georgia Tech's head coach was an unhappy one. Led by QB Steve Spurrier, Florida won 27-12, with Larry Smith setting a Orange Bowl record when he ran 94 yards for a touchdown, nearly losing his pants on the way.
4. 2005 Outback Bowl: QB Chris Leak threw for 277 yards and two touchdowns as the Gators built a hole too big for the Iowa Hawkeyes. Coach Urban Meyer's first bowl game as a Gator is a victory -- 31-24.
3. 2001 Orange Bowl: In Steve Spurrier's final game as head coach, QB Rex Grossman leads Florida's explosive offense to a school record for points in a bowl game as they defeated Maryland 56-23.
2. 1993 Sugar Bowl: Finishing with their best record to date (11-2), Florida faced the undefeated West Virginia Mountaineers in New Orleans. The 41-7 win was UF's first New Year's Day bowl win since 1967.
1. 1996 Sugar Bowl: The Gators beat the odds to turn their bowl game into the title game. Then they beat FSU 52-20 to claim their first national championship.