Top 5 worst moments on the field
See that hole in the wall? That's where some Gator fan kicked it after seeing a moment of true terror on the football field. Everyone has their own nightmare-worth memory. Here are ours.
Worst 5 on-the-field moments in Florida football history:
5. Florida's first appearance in Tampa's Outback Bowl is known best for the final play. in 2002, with the Gators trailing 38-30, coach Ron Zook took the ball out of QB Rex Grossman's hands by calling for a flea-flicker. The pass by freshman cornerback Vernell Brown was picked off, sealing the win for Michigan. (Click here for video highlights of the game; interception at end of video)
4. In 1971, Florida led Miami 45-8 with 1:20 left when Gators defenders laid down and let the Hurricanes score on a run from the Florida 8. That allowed Florida to get the ball back and senior quarterback John Reaves to break Jim Plunkett's record for NCAA career passing yards. A victory, but a shameful moment.
3. Oct. 23, 2004: Jerrious Norwood scores on a 37-yard run with 32 seconds remaining as Mississippi State defeats No. 19 Florida 38-31. The loss ultimately ended Ron Zook's career as coach. He is fired two days later. (See video)
2. Nebraska quarterback Tommie Frazier breaks the tackle of nearly every Florida defender on his way to a 75-yard touchdown run in the 1995 Fiesta Bowl. (See video)
1. Nov. 8, 1980: Run, Lindsay, Run. undefeated No. 2 Georgia trails Florida 21-20 with 1:35 remaining in the annual rivalry when quarterback Buck Belue throws a short pass to Lindsay Scott near the 25-yard line. Scott takes the ball the distance for the winning touchdown. (See video)