Gator Report

Antonya English

Gators RB Matt Jones to miss spring practice with knee injury

13

January

Armwood alum Matt Jones will miss all of spring practice because the knee injury that ended his season in the Oct. 12 LSU game was more severe than originally expected, Muschamp said.

Jones, who had surgery on the knee Oct. 14, is scheduled to have more surgery to try and repair the damaged knee.

“He had a radial tear of the meniscus, which basically splits the meniscus in half," Muschamp said "The first surgery we were able to put together about 60 percent of the meniscus. Generally when you have a radial tear one of two things you try and mend the meniscus back where you take it out and create a bone on bone situation, which, for a running back, is not good. In the first operation our orthopedics put 60 percent back, which is very good. We’re very optimistic about the meniscus being fine. We’re going to go back and build the quad back and then we’re going to come back in three to four weeks to have a scope to repair the remaining 40 percent and our orthopedics feel very confident that they’re going to be able to do so. But it is a little more lengthy when you hear a meniscus you feel - okay, it’s just a meniscus you go in and reattach it and it’s fine. But this was torn all the way through. It’s a little more serious than a regular meniscus. He will miss spring, we feel like he’ll be ready to go for summer workouts."

HERE ARE UPDATES ON SOME OTHER INJURED GATORS PLAYERS:

- QB Jeff Driskel's rehab on his broken leg is progressing well and he's expected to participate in spring drills.

- WR/KR Andre Debose (ACL) will be non-contact this spring.

- OL Tyler Moore (broken elbow) is scheduled to have another X-ray in two to three weeks to determine when he will be cleared for contact, but he is expected to participate in the spring.

- LB's Matt Rolin (ACL), Alex Anzalone (shoulder) and Jeremi Powell (knee) are all out for the spring.

[Last modified: Monday, January 13, 2014 4:12pm]

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...