Monday, October 15, 2018

Florida education news: School safety, financial literacy, budgets and more

SCHOOL SAFETY: After hours of passionate debate, the Florida House signs off on a plan to enhance security in the state's schools. The proposal, now headed to Gov. Rick Scott, addresses mental health services, some gun restrictions and controversial guidelines to allow schools to have some employees carry weapons. • Lawmakers stressed that districts do not have to activate the "guardian" model, and many school leaders signaled they have no plans to do so, regardless of any law.More from the Florida Times-Union. • Could the initiative have unintended consequences? State data show that some school employees in the past have records of threatening colleagues, hurting kids or using weapons improperly.  • Amid all the action, U.S. Education Secretary Betsy DeVos visited Marjory Stoneman Douglas High, the Sun-Sentinel reports.

BUDGETS: Stalled during the gun debate, legislative spending plans found a tentative agreement between House and Senate leaders in the waning hours of Wednesday. Details should emerge today, with session expected to be extended a day to allow the required cooling off period. More from the Herald-Tribune.

TRY, TRY AGAIN: A bill to require Florida high school students take a half-credit course in financial literacy again fails to make its way through the Legislature.

CALENDARS: The Hillsborough County School Board decides to give students off for both the Strawberry Festival and State Fair in 2019, instead of just one or the other.

STUDENT BUSING: The Martin County school district creates a plan to transport students living along hazardous walking routes, and leaders say it would be too expensive, TC Palm reports.

STUDENT VOICES: A second high school student files to run for Citrus County School Board, the Citrus County Chronicle reports. • Students at Pensacola High organize an in-school assembly on school safety issues to avoid concerns associated with a walkout, the Pensacola News-Journal reports.

UNDER REVIEW: A Collier County school principal facing a second district investigation in four years has been removed from her school, the Naples Daily News reports. • Police are investigating a confrontation between two Manatee County School Board members, the Herald-Tribune reports.

SUPERINTENDENTS: The Palm Beach County School Board picks chief operating officer Donald Fennoy as its next superintendent, the Palm Beach Post reports. • Duval County business leaders complain about their level of input on the district's superintendent search, the Florida Times-Union reports.

CHARTER SCHOOLS: The Duval County School Board extends the contracts of 12 charter schools, including one with D and F grades, the Florida Times-Union reports.

WINDFALL? A potential sale of Jacksonville Electric Authority has Duval County leaders discussing whether the school district could benefit financially, the Florida Times-Union reports.

ENOUGH, ALREADY: A 23rd student from Volusia or Flagler counties is arrested for making a hoax threat of violence against a school, the Daytona Beach News-Journal reports.

TODAY: House session, noon • Senate session, noon

Comments
Amendment 8 ballot language was ‘defective,’ Florida Supreme Court rules

The Florida Supreme Court removed Amendment 8 from the November 6 ballot because it failed to inform voters of its true purpose, the court stated in its opinion on the matter, released Monday."That the ballot summary is unclear is best demonstrated b...
Updated: 4 hours ago
Scholarship letters begin circulating for bullied Florida students

Fifteen days after their official launch, Florida's new tax credit scholarships for students who claim being bullied in public school have begun being offered.Families that report any of 13 types of incidents, as outlined in law, are gettin...
Updated: 6 hours ago
When do Florida schools take buses off the roads?

35 miles per hour.That's the wind speed at which the Florida Department of Education has recommended school districts start pulling buses off the road, for safety's sake.The department sent the message to districts as Hurricane Michael churned n...
Updated: 10 hours ago
Florida education news: Union leaders, hurricane recovery, superintendent reviews and more

UNION LEADERS: Florida Education Association delegates ousted union president Joanne McCall in favor of challenger Fed Ingram, who had been vice president. Ingram's arguments that the group should be more aggressive in its push against the Repub...
Published: 10/15/18
Florida Education Association elects new leadership

Frustrated by three years of failed attempts to fight legislative actions deemed unfriendly to teachers, Florida Education Association members on Friday ousted the group's leadership team in favor of challengers who pledged to "rebuild our power...
Published: 10/13/18
ICYMI: Florida education news in review, week of Oct. 7, 2018

With elections less than a month off, Floridians have focused attention on who will be the people setting education policy for the next two or four years. They’re homing in on policy positions such as teacher pay, tax rates and school safety, a...
Published: 10/13/18
It’s been a tough few years for Florida teachers. Will a new union leader shake things up?

Top education leaders have spent years pleading, lobbying and rallying at the state capitol, but Tallahassee lawmakers keep making life harder and harder for Florida's public school teachers.The Florida Education Association advocates for the state's...
Published: 10/12/18
Class size concerns rise in Pasco County schools

Reacting to cramped and crowded classrooms, a Fivay High School student created a 5-minute video depicting the situation and urging Pasco County communities to "take action."The video, which aired in the school news report and is posted on the school...
Published: 10/12/18
Florida education news: Teacher pay, school security, storm damage and more

TEACHER PAY: State Sen. Kevin Rader says he will refile his bill to set Florida minimum teacher pay at $50,000. It's a key piece of Democrat Andrew Gillum's education platform in his campaign for governor. Rader predicts if Gillum wins, the meas...
Published: 10/12/18
Gradebook podcast: Active shooter drills and class size – when Florida law confuses

It's a quarter of the way through Florida's school year, and some schools continue to grapple with implementation of two key requirements, one new and one old.Leaders remain uncertain of exactly how often to run active shooter drills, required by the...
Published: 10/11/18