Thursday, October 18, 2018

Florida education news: Gov. Scott’s signature, budget plans, term limits and more

NEW LAWS: Forget the drama and veto talk of a year ago. This year's two primary education bills headed quickly to Gov. Rick Scott's desk, and he took no time in signing HB 7055 and SB 4 into law. • Scott also signed a school safety bill into law, after meeting with parents of victims in the Parkland school shooting. The NRA is suing over the measure. • Several school districts say the Legislature is not providing enough money to place resource officers in every school, as the law requires, the Tallahassee Democrat reports. The Citrus County School Board will hear a request for adding more resource officers, the Citrus County Chronicle reports.  More from Politico Florida.

BUDGET: Lawmakers gather for a rare Sunday session to approve an $89 billion spending plan that many large-district superintendents criticized. Pinellas superintendent Mike Grego was among those blasting the budget, Florida Politics reports. More from the Miami Herald

TERM LIMITS: A Florida Constitution Revision Commission member seeks to amend her proposal limiting school board member terms, to eliminate retroactivity.

SUBSTITUTE TEACHERS: The firm that handles substitute teacher hiring for Hillsborough County schools has yet to respond to the district's request for details about its practices.

STUDENT VOICES: A Pasco County high school gives its students leeway to speak their minds and participate in a growing national movement for school safety and gun control. • St. Johns County students plan to participate in the March 14 national walkout, the St. Augustine Record reports.

STUDENT INITIATIVE: A Miami-Dade County charter school teacher is fired after a student researches his background and finds a history of inappropriate behavior, the Miami Herald reports.

DATA BREACH: Personal information of more than 350,000 Florida Virtual School students, parents and teachers was stolen about two years ago, and they just found out, the Miami Herald reports.

NEW DIRECTIONS: Palm Beach County's next superintendent plans to forge a different path for the school district, the Palm Beach Post reports.

BE GOOD: A group of Flagler County middle school students works with the Sheriff's Office to reduce juvenile delinquency, the Daytona Beach News-Journal reports.

NEW SCHOOLS: The Santa Rosa County school district bids on land for a new school, the Pensacola News-Journal reports.

Comments
Pasco school district gets strong credit ratings for upcoming issue

In advance of selling $67.5 million in certificates of participation, the Pasco County school district sent several high level officials to New York to pitch for a good credit rating.The effort paid off, chief finance officer Olga Swinson told t...
Published: 10/17/18
Pasco County school employee contract talks turn to salaries

After a two month break while awaiting updated financial data, negotiators for Pasco County school employees and the district administration return to bargaining this week, with plans to start talking pay.The United School Employees of Pasco intends ...
Published: 10/17/18
Florida education news: Turnarounds, rebuilding, funding and more

TURNAROUNDS: Hernando County's long struggling Moton Elementary School takes advantage of a state "Hope" grant to establish a family resource center for its students and parents. The goal is to help with issues outside school that impact academi...
Published: 10/17/18
Lee Elementary — or whatever it will ultimately be called — will be rebuilt in Tampa

Things have come full circle as the Hillsborough County School District moves ahead to rebuild fire-ravaged Lee Elementary School.The board on Tuesday unanimously approved a plan that the district negotiated with its insurers that pays full cost of b...
Published: 10/16/18
Updated: 10/17/18
Pasco School Board, teachers take stands for improved education funding

Stating the need for increased funding, about a dozen Pasco County teachers rallied Tuesday outside the school district headquarters for candidates and issues they say support public education."I believe that's what this year's election should really...
Published: 10/16/18
Florida superintendents association sets up account to help hurricane-hit school districts

Hurricane Michael blasted at least 10 north Florida school districts, razing some campuses and leaving others unusable.Seven districts — Bay, Calhoun, Franklin, Gadsden, Jackson, Liberty and Washington — remain closed indefinitely, a...
Published: 10/16/18
Florida education news: Sales tax, scholarships, ballot language and more

SALES TAX: With limited funding, the campaign for a Hillsborough County schools sales tax increase relies on parent volunteers to get the word out. If approved, the revenue will pay for air conditioning repairs, among other construction and main...
Published: 10/16/18
Amendment 8 ballot language was ‘defective,’ Florida Supreme Court rules

The Florida Supreme Court removed Amendment 8 from the November 6 ballot because it failed to inform voters of its true purpose, the court stated in its opinion on the matter, released Monday."That the ballot summary is unclear is best demonstrated b...
Published: 10/15/18
Scholarship letters begin circulating for bullied Florida students

Fifteen days after their official launch, Florida's new tax credit scholarships for students who claim being bullied in public school have begun being offered.Families that report any of 13 types of incidents, as outlined in law, are gettin...
Published: 10/15/18
When do Florida schools take buses off the roads?

35 miles per hour.That's the wind speed at which the Florida Department of Education has recommended school districts start pulling buses off the road, for safety's sake.The department sent the message to districts as Hurricane Michael churned n...
Published: 10/15/18