Thursday, April 26, 2018

Florida education news: Gov. Scott’s signature, budget plans, term limits and more

NEW LAWS: Forget the drama and veto talk of a year ago. This year's two primary education bills headed quickly to Gov. Rick Scott's desk, and he took no time in signing HB 7055 and SB 4 into law. • Scott also signed a school safety bill into law, after meeting with parents of victims in the Parkland school shooting. The NRA is suing over the measure. • Several school districts say the Legislature is not providing enough money to place resource officers in every school, as the law requires, the Tallahassee Democrat reports. The Citrus County School Board will hear a request for adding more resource officers, the Citrus County Chronicle reports.  More from Politico Florida.

BUDGET: Lawmakers gather for a rare Sunday session to approve an $89 billion spending plan that many large-district superintendents criticized. Pinellas superintendent Mike Grego was among those blasting the budget, Florida Politics reports. More from the Miami Herald

TERM LIMITS: A Florida Constitution Revision Commission member seeks to amend her proposal limiting school board member terms, to eliminate retroactivity.

SUBSTITUTE TEACHERS: The firm that handles substitute teacher hiring for Hillsborough County schools has yet to respond to the district's request for details about its practices.

STUDENT VOICES: A Pasco County high school gives its students leeway to speak their minds and participate in a growing national movement for school safety and gun control. • St. Johns County students plan to participate in the March 14 national walkout, the St. Augustine Record reports.

STUDENT INITIATIVE: A Miami-Dade County charter school teacher is fired after a student researches his background and finds a history of inappropriate behavior, the Miami Herald reports.

DATA BREACH: Personal information of more than 350,000 Florida Virtual School students, parents and teachers was stolen about two years ago, and they just found out, the Miami Herald reports.

NEW DIRECTIONS: Palm Beach County's next superintendent plans to forge a different path for the school district, the Palm Beach Post reports.

BE GOOD: A group of Flagler County middle school students works with the Sheriff's Office to reduce juvenile delinquency, the Daytona Beach News-Journal reports.

NEW SCHOOLS: The Santa Rosa County school district bids on land for a new school, the Pensacola News-Journal reports.

Comments
Gradebook podcast: Wage war in Hillsborough County, the nation’s eighth largest school district

The Hillsborough Classroom Teachers Association has been at odds with the school district over pay for the past year. It's not walking out of school, though. The group has taken its case to a special magistrate, who will decide whether the faculty or...
Updated: 2 hours ago
Snively: My assessment of the Hillsborough superintendent is best spoken, not written

Hillsborough County School Board member Melissa Snively said Thursday that she has frequent conversations with Superintendent Jeff Eakins, but prefers not to commit her assessment of him to a written form."I just felt that it is a formality, and my e...
Updated: 5 hours ago
New report finds dearth of charter schools in many needy Florida communities

Here's a new report that's likely to generate debate in Florida education circles.Charter School Deserts: High-Poverty Neighborhoods withLimited Educational Options, from the choice-friendly Fordham Institute,  puts forth the idea that...
Updated: 8 hours ago
Florida education news: Teacher pay, charter schools, campus security and more

ALL ABOUT THE BENJAMINS: A battle over wages continues in the nation's eighth largest school district, with representatives of the Hillsborough County teachers union listing myriad ways it sees the district leadership wasting money. Union o...
Updated: 11 hours ago
First meeting for USF consolidation group underscores big task ahead

The task force members who will help guide the University of South Florida System through consolidation gathered for the first time Wednesday in an orientation that nodded to the wide-ranging terrain they’ll cover. They got primers on public records ...
Published: 04/25/18
Hernando superintendent “pink slipped” by public following firing of 47 teachers at Moton Elementary

BROOKSVILLE — A room full of people clothed in purple erupted in frustration before Hernando County school officials Tuesday night, scolding Superintendent Lori Romano for the recent firing of 47 high-ranking teachers at Moton Element...
Published: 04/25/18
Pasco school district moves quickly to create safety officer program for elementary schools

The idea of placing armed safety officers rather than sworn law enforcement into Pasco County's elementary schools first surfaced a week ago, but it is swiftly moving toward becoming reality.Superintendent Kurt Browning has asked the School Board to ...
Published: 04/25/18
Which Democrats did the Foundation for Florida’s Future rate well this year?

Each spring, Jeb Bush's Foundation for Florida's Future grades state lawmakers for their votes on key education issues that came up in the most recent legislative session.Since the group strongly promotes the school choice and accountabilit...
Published: 04/25/18
Florida education news: Teacher dismissal, school funding, student testing and more

TEACHER DISMISSAL: Supporters of 47 teachers recently fired from Hernando County's struggling Moton Elementary School demand reconsideration from the School Board. Superintendent Lori Romano explains her action, and though board members sou...
Published: 04/25/18
Highlights, in Hillsborough, of state’s new education law

The high point of Tuesday's Hillsborough County School Board workshop on this year's state education bill came about 80 minutes into the two-hour session, when member Lynn Gray said, "I question the effectiveness of our political liaisons in protecti...
Published: 04/24/18