Florida education news: Gov. Scott’s signature, budget plans, term limits and more

The Florida House debates HB 7055 on Feb. 8, 2018. [The Florida Channel]
Published March 12 2018

NEW LAWS: Forget the drama and veto talk of a year ago. This year's two primary education bills headed quickly to Gov. Rick Scott's desk, and he took no time in signing HB 7055 and SB 4 into law. • Scott also signed a school safety bill into law, after meeting with parents of victims in the Parkland school shooting. The NRA is suing over the measure. • Several school districts say the Legislature is not providing enough money to place resource officers in every school, as the law requires, the Tallahassee Democrat reports. The Citrus County School Board will hear a request for adding more resource officers, the Citrus County Chronicle reports.  More from Politico Florida.

BUDGET: Lawmakers gather for a rare Sunday session to approve an $89 billion spending plan that many large-district superintendents criticized. Pinellas superintendent Mike Grego was among those blasting the budget, Florida Politics reports. More from the Miami Herald

TERM LIMITS: A Florida Constitution Revision Commission member seeks to amend her proposal limiting school board member terms, to eliminate retroactivity.

SUBSTITUTE TEACHERS: The firm that handles substitute teacher hiring for Hillsborough County schools has yet to respond to the district's request for details about its practices.

STUDENT VOICES: A Pasco County high school gives its students leeway to speak their minds and participate in a growing national movement for school safety and gun control. • St. Johns County students plan to participate in the March 14 national walkout, the St. Augustine Record reports.

STUDENT INITIATIVE: A Miami-Dade County charter school teacher is fired after a student researches his background and finds a history of inappropriate behavior, the Miami Herald reports.

DATA BREACH: Personal information of more than 350,000 Florida Virtual School students, parents and teachers was stolen about two years ago, and they just found out, the Miami Herald reports.

NEW DIRECTIONS: Palm Beach County's next superintendent plans to forge a different path for the school district, the Palm Beach Post reports.

BE GOOD: A group of Flagler County middle school students works with the Sheriff's Office to reduce juvenile delinquency, the Daytona Beach News-Journal reports.

NEW SCHOOLS: The Santa Rosa County school district bids on land for a new school, the Pensacola News-Journal reports.