Sunday, July 22, 2018

Florida education news: Gov. Scott’s signature, budget plans, term limits and more

NEW LAWS: Forget the drama and veto talk of a year ago. This year's two primary education bills headed quickly to Gov. Rick Scott's desk, and he took no time in signing HB 7055 and SB 4 into law. • Scott also signed a school safety bill into law, after meeting with parents of victims in the Parkland school shooting. The NRA is suing over the measure. • Several school districts say the Legislature is not providing enough money to place resource officers in every school, as the law requires, the Tallahassee Democrat reports. The Citrus County School Board will hear a request for adding more resource officers, the Citrus County Chronicle reports.  More from Politico Florida.

BUDGET: Lawmakers gather for a rare Sunday session to approve an $89 billion spending plan that many large-district superintendents criticized. Pinellas superintendent Mike Grego was among those blasting the budget, Florida Politics reports. More from the Miami Herald

TERM LIMITS: A Florida Constitution Revision Commission member seeks to amend her proposal limiting school board member terms, to eliminate retroactivity.

SUBSTITUTE TEACHERS: The firm that handles substitute teacher hiring for Hillsborough County schools has yet to respond to the district's request for details about its practices.

STUDENT VOICES: A Pasco County high school gives its students leeway to speak their minds and participate in a growing national movement for school safety and gun control. • St. Johns County students plan to participate in the March 14 national walkout, the St. Augustine Record reports.

STUDENT INITIATIVE: A Miami-Dade County charter school teacher is fired after a student researches his background and finds a history of inappropriate behavior, the Miami Herald reports.

DATA BREACH: Personal information of more than 350,000 Florida Virtual School students, parents and teachers was stolen about two years ago, and they just found out, the Miami Herald reports.

NEW DIRECTIONS: Palm Beach County's next superintendent plans to forge a different path for the school district, the Palm Beach Post reports.

BE GOOD: A group of Flagler County middle school students works with the Sheriff's Office to reduce juvenile delinquency, the Daytona Beach News-Journal reports.

NEW SCHOOLS: The Santa Rosa County school district bids on land for a new school, the Pensacola News-Journal reports.

Comments
ICYMI: Florida education news in review, week of July 15, 2018

Florida officially has a new tax credit scholarship, this one for students who claim they were victimized in school. The state Board of Education adopted rules governing the newest voucher-like program after learning it couldn’t do much to cont...
Published: 07/21/18
Pasco school district to consider new social media policy

Facebook, Twitter and other social media sites have become common ways for Pasco County schools to reach students, parents and the public over the past five years.The district issued usage guidelines in 2013. Now the administration is asking the Scho...
Published: 07/20/18
State lawyers file response in education funding lawsuit before Florida’s Supreme Court

After lagging for months, the lawsuit challenging Florida's education funding system gained traction again this week, with lawyers submitting arguments urging the state Supreme Court to kill the case rather than send it back to a lower...
Published: 07/20/18
Florida education news: Parent voices, teacher tests, Amendment 8 and more

PARENT VOICES: Pinellas County mom Linda Kearschner becomes Florida PTA president, and vows to work on key issues to better education for all children regardless of background — even if lawmakers seem not to be listening. "The bi...
Published: 07/20/18
The contest for School Board District 4

The contest for School Board District 4

Melissa Snively, now running for a second term to represent East Hillsborough County on the Hillsborough County School Board, discussed the district budget, low-performing schools, morale in the ranks and the elimination of courtesy busing in her edi...
Published: 07/20/18
Pinellas parent becomes Florida PTA president

Linda Kearschner first joined the PTA at Azalea Elementary School because her daughter was starting kindergarten."I think we all start in PTA because of our own child," she said. "But then we realize to make the world a better place … we need t...
Published: 07/19/18
Hillsborough school board candidates speak their minds

You heard from the candidates for Hillsborough County School Board in District 1 and District 2. Four of the six candidates for the countywide District 6 seat also interviewed for Times editorial board endorsements. Here is some of what they had to s...
Published: 07/19/18
Gradebook podcast: Fighting Amendment 8, with Florida League of Women Voters president Patricia Brigham

Supporters of Florida Constitution Revision Commission Amendment 8 focus on the part that would create school board term limits, viewing it as a popular idea that could push the proposal to the 60 percent vote needed for passage.Critics say the measu...
Published: 07/19/18
Florida education news: Turnarounds, vouchers, charter schools and more

TURNAROUNDS: With 2018 state grades out, Hillsborough and Pinellas school district leaders bring improvement plans for their most struggling campuses to the Florida Board of Education for approval. Each gets warnings that their plans m...
Published: 07/19/18
Credit recovery high school closes

Credit recovery high school closes

Hillsborough County this year will have two, not three alternative charter high schools operated by the Accelerated Learning Solutions management group.Town and Country Charter High School is being shut down because of low enrollment, the company con...
Published: 07/18/18