Tuesday, September 25, 2018

Florida education news: Bills, budgets, lawsuits and more

BILLS: Only about 6 percent of the 3,250 bills filed in the Florida Legislature this past session made it through both chambers. Just a fraction of those related to education. You heard about the big ones. Read up on the less noticed legislation that got passed, as well as some of the measures you thought might make it through but didn't. • A proposal to tighten oversight of schools accepting tax credit scholarships makes it through, but without language to require teachers to have degrees, the Orlando Sentinel reports.

BUDGETS: Pinellas County superintendent Mike Grego joins a chorus of district leaders in criticizing the Legislature's education budget.  More from NBC Miami.

IN COURT: The Hillsborough County school district tries to get a whistleblower lawsuit tossed out of court. • A group of parents and charter school operators seek to intervene in the HB 7069 lawsuit now in Leon County court, Redefined reports.

STUDENT VOICES: Manatee County students prepare to participate in Wednesday walkouts for school safety, the Bradenton Herald reports. • Lee County schools signal that students might face consequences for walking out of classes, the Fort Myers News-Press reports. More from the Sun-Sentinel, St. Augustine Record, Northwest Florida Daily News

SCHOOL SECURITY: Collier County officials explore options to make schools more secure, including consideration of arming employees, the Naples Daily News reports. • Sarasota County district officials say every safety option is on the table, the Herald-Tribune reports.

CHARTER SCHOOLS: The Palm Beach County school district looks into shutting down a financially struggling charter school, the Palm Beach Post reports.

STUDENT DATA: Leon County superintendent Rocky Hanna blames Florida Virtual School for leaving its servers unsecured, allowing for a data breach, the Tallahassee Democrat reports.

SPECIAL EDUCATION: The Broward County school district looks for ways to bolster special education staffing in the aftermath of the Parkland shooting, the Sun-Sentinel reports.

TODAY: Florida Constitution Revision Commission, public hearing, 1 p.m., University of South Florida St. Petersburg.

Comments
New name, veterinary science center for Pinellas Technical High School after $5 million donation

After a unanimous vote by the Pinellas County School Board Tuesday, Pinellas Technical High School will be renamed to honor the late businessman and philanthropist Richard O. Jacobson of Clearwater.A foundation in his name recently gave $5 milli...
Updated: 2 hours ago
Six of seven ‘just one of many ideas’ to get more money to Pasco teachers, official says

The idea of having Pasco County teachers work longer days in exchange for more pay has generated significant opposition since school district administrators floated the concept in late August.At the time, officials said they were serious about the "s...
Updated: 4 hours ago
Pinellas school officials push for solution to attendance problems at Plato Academy Pinellas Park

The Pinellas County School Board on Tuesday okayed an improvement plan for Plato Academy Pinellas Park, which earned a D grade last year.Lisa Cunningham, principal of the charter school, presented the plan to officials during a workshop last week. Sh...
Updated: 5 hours ago
Gum is not a food: Pasco schools seek ‘common sense’ tweaks to football game security

With news of shootings at high school football games in other parts of Florida still fresh, the Pasco County school district amped up security at its sporting events, beginning Sept. 14.It didn't take long for some spectators to spot some flaws in th...
Updated: 7 hours ago
Florida education news: Teacher bonuses, school security, classroom technology and more

BONUS CHALLENGE: The Florida Education Association's legal challenge of the "Best and Brightest" bonus program is headed to mediation for a possible resolution. The union contends the program discriminates against educators of a certain age and ...
Updated: 8 hours ago
Florida ‘Best and Brightest’ bonus lawsuit heads to mediation

A year-old case contending Florida's "Best and Brightest" teacher bonus program discriminates against educators of a certain age or race is headed to mediation in November.The complaint focuses on the part of the 2015 program that relies upon...
Published: 09/24/18
Hillsborough Sheriff joins oversight board for school tax

Sheriff Chad Chronister has agreed to serve as vice chair of an oversight committee for the proposed half-cent sales tax to benefit the Hillsborough County Public Schools.The school district announced his selection Monday morning. Betty Castor, who s...
Published: 09/24/18
First donations are logged in school referendum campaign

Strengthen Our Schools, the political committee that is promoting the half-cent sales tax to benefit the Hillsborough County Public Schools, reported its first $150,600 in contributions this week.The biggest checks, each for $75,000, came from the Hi...
Published: 09/24/18
Florida education news: Scholarships, taxes, security and more

SCHOLARSHIPS: Several weeks into the school year, Florida's newest student scholarships are getting closer to reality. More than 2,700 children have applied for a Reading Scholarship, while car dealers will be allowed to start offering tax credi...
Published: 09/24/18
ICYMI: Florida education news in review, week of Sept. 16, 2018

Florida’s race for governor is officially on, and the topic of education promises to be a key issue as the candidates seek support. The major party hopefuls focused on their policy priorities over the past week, and they differ is most every wa...
Published: 09/22/18