Friday, June 22, 2018

Florida education news: Bills, budgets, lawsuits and more

BILLS: Only about 6 percent of the 3,250 bills filed in the Florida Legislature this past session made it through both chambers. Just a fraction of those related to education. You heard about the big ones. Read up on the less noticed legislation that got passed, as well as some of the measures you thought might make it through but didn't. • A proposal to tighten oversight of schools accepting tax credit scholarships makes it through, but without language to require teachers to have degrees, the Orlando Sentinel reports.

BUDGETS: Pinellas County superintendent Mike Grego joins a chorus of district leaders in criticizing the Legislature's education budget.  More from NBC Miami.

IN COURT: The Hillsborough County school district tries to get a whistleblower lawsuit tossed out of court. • A group of parents and charter school operators seek to intervene in the HB 7069 lawsuit now in Leon County court, Redefined reports.

STUDENT VOICES: Manatee County students prepare to participate in Wednesday walkouts for school safety, the Bradenton Herald reports. • Lee County schools signal that students might face consequences for walking out of classes, the Fort Myers News-Press reports. More from the Sun-Sentinel, St. Augustine Record, Northwest Florida Daily News

SCHOOL SECURITY: Collier County officials explore options to make schools more secure, including consideration of arming employees, the Naples Daily News reports. • Sarasota County district officials say every safety option is on the table, the Herald-Tribune reports.

CHARTER SCHOOLS: The Palm Beach County school district looks into shutting down a financially struggling charter school, the Palm Beach Post reports.

STUDENT DATA: Leon County superintendent Rocky Hanna blames Florida Virtual School for leaving its servers unsecured, allowing for a data breach, the Tallahassee Democrat reports.

SPECIAL EDUCATION: The Broward County school district looks for ways to bolster special education staffing in the aftermath of the Parkland shooting, the Sun-Sentinel reports.

TODAY: Florida Constitution Revision Commission, public hearing, 1 p.m., University of South Florida St. Petersburg.

Comments
Newcomers seek to topple incumbents in Pinellas School Board races

Thirteen candidates will vie for four seats on the Pinellas County School Board this year, as the two hopefuls qualified just before Friday's noon deadline.Three incumbents, including the board's leader and vice chair, aim to keep their seats amid a ...
Updated: 2 hours ago
On the campaign trail: For Hillsborough County School Board

Barring a last-minute adjustment, this is the lineup for the 2018 Hillsborough County School Board races.District 1, northwest Hillsborough and Town 'N Country:This is a special election to replace Susan Valdes, who resigned, effective Nov. 6, to run...
Updated: 3 hours ago
Seven candidates qualify for Hernando County School Board races

Seven candidates have lined up in races for three seats open on the Hernando County School Board, including incumbents Mark Johnson and Susan Duval.Johnson, who was elected to the board's District 1 seat in 2014, faces challenger ...
Updated: 4 hours ago
Ballot set for Pasco County School Board races

Ten candidates qualified to run for three Pasco County School Board seats as the ballot officially closed at noon Friday.All of them had announced their plans well in advance, and rumors of a last-minute hopeful never materialized.The District 5 race...
Updated: 4 hours ago
Ridgewood High saw little improvement in final year of state testing

As Pasco County school district officials discussed converting Ridgewood High School into a technical school, some leaders kept asking one question: What if the school actually improved its academic performance, making the change unnecessary?The scho...
Updated: 5 hours ago
Florida education news: Pledge of Allegiance lawsuit, immigrant education, tutoring troubles and more

TAKE A KNEE: Lawyers for the Pasco County school district say students do not have an unqualified, clearly established right to kneel during the daily pledge to the flag, rebutting a family's lawsuit contending otherwise.SUMMER LEARNING: So...
Updated: 9 hours ago
Pasco County report cards going virtual

Pasco County report cards going virtual

Pasco County parents should not check the mailbox for their children's report cards this summer.The grades are coming online only.After months of planning, the district will release fourth-quarter report cards in the online MyStudent grading system, ...
Published: 06/21/18
Pasco school district rebuts family’s Pledge of Allegiance lawsuit

Lawyers for the Pasco County school district say the principal of Wiregrass Elementary School and a first grade teacher there did nothing wrong in their treatment of a student who took a knee while his classmates recited the Pledge of Allegiance last...
Published: 06/21/18
Florida education news: Superintendents, test scores, school safety and more

SUPERINTENDENT SEARCH: The Hernando County School Board quickly moves ahead in seeking a new district leader after dumping Lori Romano.BUDGET GAP: Pasco County school district leaders anticipate a budget shortfall as they work to meet new state ...
Published: 06/21/18
Florida education news: New candidates, school security and a suspended PTSA

ELECTIONS: A former county official joins the race for a seat on Hernando County School Board, the Tampa Bay Times reports. • In Hillsborough County, one candidate for School Board changes parties and another changes races, the Tampa Bay Times ...
Published: 06/19/18