Thursday, September 20, 2018

Florida Virtual School warns of massive data breach

By Nick Saffan, Times Staff Writer

Florida Virtual School (FLVS) has alerted students, parents, and alumni after a massive security breach.

A notice posted by the online school says the data breach occurred between May 6, 2016, and Feb. 12, 2018.

“This incident could affect information in FLVS school records, including but not limited to students’ names, dates of birth, school account usernames and passwords, physical school identification, as well as parents’ names and parent emails.” FLVS said in the notice.

At this point FLVS has not identified any evidence that the Social Security numbers or financial account information of parents or students has been affected. However, personal information from some Leon County teachers - including names, social security numbers and certain demographic informaiton - may have been compromised. The Leon County School District will be directly contacting these teachers.

FLVS has contacted the FBI, Florida Department of Law Enforcement, and has also hired an independent forensic cybersecurity investigation firm to assist in their investigation and response.

FLVS said it are now offering one year of free identity protection services for those impacted through www.experianidworks.com/FLVS. This will be available to parents and students whose information was in the FLVS database during the affected period.

“Qualifying students or their parents can learn more and if impacted by the incident, can sign up for identity protection services at this website www.experianidworks.com/FLVS or by calling Experian at (888) 829-6553 and referencing engagement number DB05741.”

For more information on the identity theft and information about the identity protection services read the FLVS notice.

Comments
Following the money: Referendum and AC materials

We've been collecting documents to supplement our reporting about the upcoming Hillsborough sales tax referendum and thought we would share them here. This post will be updated.First: Facebook Live video of Superintendent Jeff Eakins' first town hall...
Updated: 6 hours ago
Mental health provider that evaluated Nikolas Cruz picked to service charter schools

Florida's largest charter school membership organization announced Wednesday that it is partnering with Parkland school shooter Nikolas Cruz's former mental health care provider to render services to schools.Broward County's Henderson Behavioral Heal...
Updated: 12 hours ago
Delayed Pasco charter school aims for Oct. 1 move to new site

Plato Academy Trinity has told parents and students it's targeting Oct. 1 to open its new building on Old County Road 54.It still has several permits to obtain if it wants to meet that latest deadline.The Pasco County charter school, serving about 25...
Published: 09/20/18
Gradebook podcast: DeSantis vs. Gillum and the future of Florida education policy

Florida's two major party candidates for governor have released their education platforms, and they couldn't have offered a more distinct choice.With the exception of wanting to expand career and technical education, and to pay teachers better, Repub...
Published: 09/20/18
Florida education news: Teacher pay, Red Tide, campaign contributions and more

TEACHER PAY: Pasco County teachers and staff continue to press for raises in the district's budget, getting only board promises to keep looking for funding. One School Board member urges his colleagues to make pay a top priority.RED TIDE: T...
Published: 09/20/18
Red Tide forces two Pinellas schools to move recess, physical education inside

Recess and physical education classes at two south Pinellas County schools were moved inside this week due to Red Tide, a toxic algae that continues to plague area beaches with throngs of dead fish and an unmistakable foul odor.Pr...
Published: 09/19/18
Pasco School Board candidate says charter school campaign contribution doesn’t define her

Early in the election cycle, Pasco County School Board candidate Tara O'Connor received criticism over her long list of supporters who are elected officials.Now, O'Connor is taking hits for accepting a $1,000 campaign contribution from Charter School...
Published: 09/19/18
Pasco board member presses colleagues, staff to set priorities

As several teachers urged the Pasco School Board to improve their wages, one board member hammered home his view that the district has not followed through on raises despite setting that priority three straight years.Steve Luikart, who retires i...
Published: 09/19/18
Florida education news: Policy proposals, achievement gap, tax plans and more

CAMPAIGN TRAIL: Republican candidate for governor Ron DeSantis unveils his education plan for Florida, as Democrat Andrew Gillum highlights his proposals. Their positions could not be more starkly different, except for the area of career educati...
Published: 09/19/18
In town hall, Eakins takes school district's story to Ballast Point

TAMPA — First, the disclaimer: "I'm not here to tell you how to vote," Hillsborough County Public Schools Superintendent Jeff Eakins told his audience. "I'm here to educate you about why we're here." From there, in his Tuesday evening prese...
Published: 09/18/18
Updated: 09/19/18