Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Florida education news: Turnarounds, scholarships, prom and more

TURNAROUNDS: Hernando County's long-struggling Moton Elementary School dismisses its entire teaching staff, in hopes of staving off having to adopt one of the state's three improvement plan options. "None of those were what we wanted," district spokeswoman Karen Jordan said. "We wanted to maintain Moton as our school with our decision-making." • An Alachua County middle-high school gets a pep talk as students head into state testing with the threat of school closure looming with poor results, WUFT reports.

READING SCHOLARSHIPS: Florida third graders who fail their state language arts exam this year have an added layer of assistance to get back on track — a new $500 scholarship to pay for outside instruction or materials.

PROM: A Walton County home-schooled student is barred from the local high school prom, the Northwest Florida Daily News reports. "Prom is for students who attend the schools and their dates," superintendent Russell Hughes said. "If I open the door and violate the (state) statute, I open the door to 400-plus students to say they want to go to prom."

PERSONAL DATA: Manatee County school district employees will get a settlement in a case over the inadvertent release of their payroll information, the Bradenton Herald reports.

SCHOOL SECURITY: The Bay County school district prepares to implement the "guardian" program with armed employees, the Panama City News Herald reports. • Volusia County's state lawmakers discuss how they arrived at the state's school safety legislation, the Daytona Beach News-Journal reports. • The Okeechobee County Commission agrees to fund five additional resource officers, the Okeechobee News reports. • The Flagler County school district considers hiring a firm to monitor social media for possible threats of school violence, the Daytona Beach News-Journal reports.

FINANCIAL FINAGLING: A state audit questions whether the Lake County school district misused $10.3 million in impact fee revenue, the Orlando Sentinel reports.

STUDENT VOICES: Miami-Dade high school students continue to speak out against gun violence, WLRN reports.

POLITICS: Orange County teachers are told to leave their political campaign materials at home, the Orlando Sentinel reports.

LABOR NEWS: Lake County teachers work to contract to protest the lack of progress in contract talks, the Orlando Sentinel reports.

CHARTER SCHOOLS: A Palm Beach County charter school found money to pay its executive director for naming rights, even as it struggled to pay its teachers, the Palm Beach Post reports. • A Brevard County charter school faces the threat of being shut down, Florida Today reports.

BAD ACTS: A Polk County substitute teacher is arrested on accusations he physically assaulted a student, the Ledger reports.

TODAY: Florida Constitution Revision Commission, 10 a.m.

Comments
Florida education news: Charter schools, test results, safety and more

CHARTER SCHOOLS: The 10-year renewal of a Hillsborough County charter alternative high school generates a pointed debate about the school's worth, as the League of Women Voters notes its poor graduation rate and school district officials lo...
Updated: 2 hours ago
Critics of charter schools point to low graduation rates

The League of Women Voters is protesting the 10-year renewal of Seminole Heights Charter High School's contract on grounds that the organization spends nearly $200,000 in tax money to produce one high school graduate…But do they?Absolutely not,...
Published: 07/16/18
Pasco schools Citizens Academy seeks applications

The Pasco County school district's new Citizens Academy is now a reality.It only needs participants.The district's inaugural class to learn about the ins and outs of its operations and activities will be 30 to 50 members large. They will attend seven...
Published: 07/16/18
Hillsborough County has more ‘persistently low performing’ schools than any other Florida district

The Hillsborough County school district has topped another state list it would prefer not to be on.It has 13 schools on Florida's newly released "persistently low performing" list, more than double the number of any other district.That's down from 20...
Published: 07/16/18
Florida education news: Addresses, ethics, security and more

WHERE DO YOU LIVE? The Pasco County School Board will consider tightening rules for when it can remove students from schools over fraudulent registration forms.ETHICS: A Hillsborough County disability rights advocate files an ethics complai...
Published: 07/16/18
ICYMI: Florida education news in review, week of July 8, 2018

Another week, another lawsuit. This time, it’s the League of Women Voters challenge to Amendment 8, a measure headed to the November ballot unless a judge stops it. The group contends the proposal is misleading because it aims to change charter...
Published: 07/14/18
Ethics complaint against Hillsborough School Board members

NOTE: This post has been revised.A disability rights advocate in Tampa has filed a state ethics complaint against Hillsborough County School Board member Lynn Gray, based on reports that appeared in recent months in the La Gaceta newspaper.Karen Clay...
Published: 07/13/18
Updated: 07/16/18
Pasco school district looks to strengthen student address verification rules

Pasco County parents have demanded their school district amplify its efforts to make sure students are not lying about their addresses for more than two years. They've done so in hopes that drive might alleviate the need to change attendance zon...
Published: 07/13/18
Gradebook podcast: Why the Hernando School Board fired its superintendent

Florida's Hernando County school district is proving that not only the biggest systems suffer from politics and infighting.After years of internal disputes, and growing discontent within the general public, the board recently fired superintendent Lor...
Published: 07/13/18
Florida education news: Amendment lawsuit, charter appeals, safety and more

AMENDMENT 8: Calling the title and summary "misleading," the Florida League of Women Voters asks the Leon County Court to remove Amendment 8 from the November ballot. The measure includes three items — civics education, school board t...
Published: 07/13/18