Thursday, April 26, 2018

Florida education news: Turnarounds, scholarships, prom and more

TURNAROUNDS: Hernando County's long-struggling Moton Elementary School dismisses its entire teaching staff, in hopes of staving off having to adopt one of the state's three improvement plan options. "None of those were what we wanted," district spokeswoman Karen Jordan said. "We wanted to maintain Moton as our school with our decision-making." • An Alachua County middle-high school gets a pep talk as students head into state testing with the threat of school closure looming with poor results, WUFT reports.

READING SCHOLARSHIPS: Florida third graders who fail their state language arts exam this year have an added layer of assistance to get back on track — a new $500 scholarship to pay for outside instruction or materials.

PROM: A Walton County home-schooled student is barred from the local high school prom, the Northwest Florida Daily News reports. "Prom is for students who attend the schools and their dates," superintendent Russell Hughes said. "If I open the door and violate the (state) statute, I open the door to 400-plus students to say they want to go to prom."

PERSONAL DATA: Manatee County school district employees will get a settlement in a case over the inadvertent release of their payroll information, the Bradenton Herald reports.

SCHOOL SECURITY: The Bay County school district prepares to implement the "guardian" program with armed employees, the Panama City News Herald reports. • Volusia County's state lawmakers discuss how they arrived at the state's school safety legislation, the Daytona Beach News-Journal reports. • The Okeechobee County Commission agrees to fund five additional resource officers, the Okeechobee News reports. • The Flagler County school district considers hiring a firm to monitor social media for possible threats of school violence, the Daytona Beach News-Journal reports.

FINANCIAL FINAGLING: A state audit questions whether the Lake County school district misused $10.3 million in impact fee revenue, the Orlando Sentinel reports.

STUDENT VOICES: Miami-Dade high school students continue to speak out against gun violence, WLRN reports.

POLITICS: Orange County teachers are told to leave their political campaign materials at home, the Orlando Sentinel reports.

LABOR NEWS: Lake County teachers work to contract to protest the lack of progress in contract talks, the Orlando Sentinel reports.

CHARTER SCHOOLS: A Palm Beach County charter school found money to pay its executive director for naming rights, even as it struggled to pay its teachers, the Palm Beach Post reports. • A Brevard County charter school faces the threat of being shut down, Florida Today reports.

BAD ACTS: A Polk County substitute teacher is arrested on accusations he physically assaulted a student, the Ledger reports.

TODAY: Florida Constitution Revision Commission, 10 a.m.

Comments
Florida education news: Teacher pay, charter schools, campus security and more

ALL ABOUT THE BENJAMINS: A battle over wages continues in the nation's eighth largest school district, with representatives of the Hillsborough County teachers union listing myriad ways it sees the district leadership wasting money. Union o...
Updated: 1 hour ago
First meeting for USF consolidation group underscores big task ahead

The task force members who will help guide the University of South Florida System through consolidation gathered for the first time Wednesday in an orientation that nodded to the wide-ranging terrain they’ll cover. They got primers on public records ...
Published: 04/25/18
Hernando superintendent “pink slipped” by public following firing of 47 teachers at Moton Elementary

BROOKSVILLE — A room full of people clothed in purple erupted in frustration before Hernando County school officials Tuesday night, scolding Superintendent Lori Romano for the recent firing of 47 high-ranking teachers at Moton Element...
Published: 04/25/18
Pasco school district moves quickly to create safety officer program for elementary schools

The idea of placing armed safety officers rather than sworn law enforcement into Pasco County's elementary schools first surfaced a week ago, but it is swiftly moving toward becoming reality.Superintendent Kurt Browning has asked the School Board to ...
Published: 04/25/18
Which Democrats did the Foundation for Florida’s Future rate well this year?

Each spring, Jeb Bush's Foundation for Florida's Future grades state lawmakers for their votes on key education issues that came up in the most recent legislative session.Since the group strongly promotes the school choice and accountabilit...
Published: 04/25/18
Florida education news: Teacher dismissal, school funding, student testing and more

TEACHER DISMISSAL: Supporters of 47 teachers recently fired from Hernando County's struggling Moton Elementary School demand reconsideration from the School Board. Superintendent Lori Romano explains her action, and though board members sou...
Published: 04/25/18
Highlights, in Hillsborough, of state’s new education law

The high point of Tuesday's Hillsborough County School Board workshop on this year's state education bill came about 80 minutes into the two-hour session, when member Lynn Gray said, "I question the effectiveness of our political liaisons in protecti...
Published: 04/24/18
‘Schoolhouse Rock’ songwriter Bob Dorough dies

"I'm just a bill." "Conjunction junction, what's your function?" "Three is a magic number."If you instantly start singing along, you're of that 'Schoolhouse Rock' generation that learned lifelong lessons about civics, grammar, math and other school s...
Published: 04/24/18
Pinellas schools support employee up for statewide honor

Debra Canning, a 21st Century iClass liaison for the Pinellas County school district's most struggling schools, has been named a finalist for 2018 Florida School-Related Employee of the Year.Canning, who started working for the district in 2006,...
Published: 04/24/18
Florida education news: Accountability, impasse, turnarounds and more

ACCOUNTABILITY: In its original plan, Florida tried to get around certain Every Student Succeeds Act requirements without even asking for a waiver. The feds sent the proposal back, asking for revisions. After several delays, education commission...
Published: 04/24/18