Florida education news: Turnarounds, scholarships, prom and more

Hernando County school district headquarters [Douglas Clifford | Times]
Published April 16

TURNAROUNDS: Hernando County's long-struggling Moton Elementary School dismisses its entire teaching staff, in hopes of staving off having to adopt one of the state's three improvement plan options. "None of those were what we wanted," district spokeswoman Karen Jordan said. "We wanted to maintain Moton as our school with our decision-making." • An Alachua County middle-high school gets a pep talk as students head into state testing with the threat of school closure looming with poor results, WUFT reports.

READING SCHOLARSHIPS: Florida third graders who fail their state language arts exam this year have an added layer of assistance to get back on track — a new $500 scholarship to pay for outside instruction or materials.

PROM: A Walton County home-schooled student is barred from the local high school prom, the Northwest Florida Daily News reports. "Prom is for students who attend the schools and their dates," superintendent Russell Hughes said. "If I open the door and violate the (state) statute, I open the door to 400-plus students to say they want to go to prom."

PERSONAL DATA: Manatee County school district employees will get a settlement in a case over the inadvertent release of their payroll information, the Bradenton Herald reports.

SCHOOL SECURITY: The Bay County school district prepares to implement the "guardian" program with armed employees, the Panama City News Herald reports. • Volusia County's state lawmakers discuss how they arrived at the state's school safety legislation, the Daytona Beach News-Journal reports. • The Okeechobee County Commission agrees to fund five additional resource officers, the Okeechobee News reports. • The Flagler County school district considers hiring a firm to monitor social media for possible threats of school violence, the Daytona Beach News-Journal reports.

FINANCIAL FINAGLING: A state audit questions whether the Lake County school district misused $10.3 million in impact fee revenue, the Orlando Sentinel reports.

STUDENT VOICES: Miami-Dade high school students continue to speak out against gun violence, WLRN reports.

POLITICS: Orange County teachers are told to leave their political campaign materials at home, the Orlando Sentinel reports.

LABOR NEWS: Lake County teachers work to contract to protest the lack of progress in contract talks, the Orlando Sentinel reports.

CHARTER SCHOOLS: A Palm Beach County charter school found money to pay its executive director for naming rights, even as it struggled to pay its teachers, the Palm Beach Post reports. • A Brevard County charter school faces the threat of being shut down, Florida Today reports.

BAD ACTS: A Polk County substitute teacher is arrested on accusations he physically assaulted a student, the Ledger reports.

TODAY: Florida Constitution Revision Commission, 10 a.m.