Thursday, September 20, 2018

Florida education news: Turnarounds, scholarships, prom and more

TURNAROUNDS: Hernando County's long-struggling Moton Elementary School dismisses its entire teaching staff, in hopes of staving off having to adopt one of the state's three improvement plan options. "None of those were what we wanted," district spokeswoman Karen Jordan said. "We wanted to maintain Moton as our school with our decision-making." • An Alachua County middle-high school gets a pep talk as students head into state testing with the threat of school closure looming with poor results, WUFT reports.

READING SCHOLARSHIPS: Florida third graders who fail their state language arts exam this year have an added layer of assistance to get back on track — a new $500 scholarship to pay for outside instruction or materials.

PROM: A Walton County home-schooled student is barred from the local high school prom, the Northwest Florida Daily News reports. "Prom is for students who attend the schools and their dates," superintendent Russell Hughes said. "If I open the door and violate the (state) statute, I open the door to 400-plus students to say they want to go to prom."

PERSONAL DATA: Manatee County school district employees will get a settlement in a case over the inadvertent release of their payroll information, the Bradenton Herald reports.

SCHOOL SECURITY: The Bay County school district prepares to implement the "guardian" program with armed employees, the Panama City News Herald reports. • Volusia County's state lawmakers discuss how they arrived at the state's school safety legislation, the Daytona Beach News-Journal reports. • The Okeechobee County Commission agrees to fund five additional resource officers, the Okeechobee News reports. • The Flagler County school district considers hiring a firm to monitor social media for possible threats of school violence, the Daytona Beach News-Journal reports.

FINANCIAL FINAGLING: A state audit questions whether the Lake County school district misused $10.3 million in impact fee revenue, the Orlando Sentinel reports.

STUDENT VOICES: Miami-Dade high school students continue to speak out against gun violence, WLRN reports.

POLITICS: Orange County teachers are told to leave their political campaign materials at home, the Orlando Sentinel reports.

LABOR NEWS: Lake County teachers work to contract to protest the lack of progress in contract talks, the Orlando Sentinel reports.

CHARTER SCHOOLS: A Palm Beach County charter school found money to pay its executive director for naming rights, even as it struggled to pay its teachers, the Palm Beach Post reports. • A Brevard County charter school faces the threat of being shut down, Florida Today reports.

BAD ACTS: A Polk County substitute teacher is arrested on accusations he physically assaulted a student, the Ledger reports.

TODAY: Florida Constitution Revision Commission, 10 a.m.

Comments
Mental health provider that evaluated Nikolas Cruz picked to service charter schools

Florida's largest charter school membership organization announced Wednesday that it is partnering with Parkland school shooter Nikolas Cruz's former mental health care provider to render services to schools.Broward County's Henderson Behavioral Heal...
Updated: 1 hour ago
Delayed Pasco charter school aims for Oct. 1 move to new site

Plato Academy Trinity has told parents and students it's targeting Oct. 1 to open its new building on Old County Road 54.It still has several permits to obtain if it wants to meet that latest deadline.The Pasco County charter school, serving about 25...
Updated: 3 hours ago
Gradebook podcast: DeSantis vs. Gillum and the future of Florida education policy

Florida's two major party candidates for governor have released their education platforms, and they couldn't have offered a more distinct choice.With the exception of wanting to expand career and technical education, and to pay teachers better, Repub...
Updated: 5 hours ago
Florida education news: Teacher pay, Red Tide, campaign contributions and more

TEACHER PAY: Pasco County teachers and staff continue to press for raises in the district's budget, getting only board promises to keep looking for funding. One School Board member urges his colleagues to make pay a top priority.RED TIDE: T...
Updated: 8 hours ago
Red Tide forces two Pinellas schools to move recess, physical education inside

Recess and physical education classes at two south Pinellas County schools were moved inside this week due to Red Tide, a toxic algae that continues to plague area beaches with throngs of dead fish and an unmistakable foul odor.Pr...
Published: 09/19/18
Pasco School Board candidate says charter school campaign contribution doesn’t define her

Early in the election cycle, Pasco County School Board candidate Tara O'Connor received criticism over her long list of supporters who are elected officials.Now, O'Connor is taking hits for accepting a $1,000 campaign contribution from Charter School...
Published: 09/19/18
Pasco board member presses colleagues, staff to set priorities

As several teachers urged the Pasco School Board to improve their wages, one board member hammered home his view that the district has not followed through on raises despite setting that priority three straight years.Steve Luikart, who retires i...
Published: 09/19/18
Florida education news: Policy proposals, achievement gap, tax plans and more

CAMPAIGN TRAIL: Republican candidate for governor Ron DeSantis unveils his education plan for Florida, as Democrat Andrew Gillum highlights his proposals. Their positions could not be more starkly different, except for the area of career educati...
Published: 09/19/18
In town hall, Eakins takes school district's story to Ballast Point

TAMPA — First, the disclaimer: "I'm not here to tell you how to vote," Hillsborough County Public Schools Superintendent Jeff Eakins told his audience. "I'm here to educate you about why we're here." From there, in his Tuesday evening prese...
Published: 09/18/18
Updated: 09/19/18
Report: Pinellas improves on achievement gap, but needs to do better

School for black students in Pinellas County is getting better, according to a report detailing the school district's progress a year into its effort to close the educational achievement gap by 2027.Of the six measures included in...
Published: 09/18/18