Tuesday, September 18, 2018

Florida education news: Budgets, pay plans, campaign claims and more

BUDGET SEASON: The Florida Board of Education prepares to consider a legislative budget proposal including "no change in 2018-19 millage rates." • Without comment, the Hillsborough County School Board approves a $3 billion budget with a decreased property tax rate. • The Pinellas County School Board approves a $1.5 billion budget, also without comment. • The Collier County School Board narrowly approves a new district tax rate and budget, the Naples Daily News reports. • The Sarasota County School Board  approves it budget with one dissent, the Herald-Tribune reports.

PAY PLAN: The Pasco County school district asks teachers for their thoughts about a plan that would offer more pay in exchange for longer work days. • The Lake County School Board approves raises for all teachers, the Daily Commercial reports.

CAMPAIGN CLAIMS: Running for U.S. Senate, Gov. Rick Scott releases an ad touting historic funding for Florida schools, Florida Politics reports. The ad comes under immediate attack as misleading. More from the Capitolist.

SECURITY FUNDS: Duval County school district leaders urge state lawmakers to reconsider a proposal to release unused school guardian funds for other security uses, the Florida Times-Union reports. • The Citrus County School Board explores the idea of adding a guard program to support resource officers in schools, the Citrus County Chronicle reports.

SMOKING IN THE CLASSROOM: Miami-Dade County high school students say it's easy to sneak an e-cigarette puff or two in class, and it happens often, the Miami Herald reports. The City of Miami Beach aims to crack down on sales of the items to under-age children.

ACTIVE SHOOTER DRILLS: Some St. Johns County parents question the content of videos to be shown to students for active shooter response training, the St. Augustine Record reports. They say they should have been allowed to view the materials or given the choice to opt out.

SOFTWARE PROJECT: An internal auditor says Manatee County school district officials routinely ignored warnings about problems with a software installation that has gone well beyond its scope and budget, the Herald-Tribune reports.

STUDENT VOICES: The Leon County School Board gets a new student representative who pledges to listen to student concerns, the Tallahassee Democrat reports.

BACK PAY: A former Leon County high school athletic director wins a settlement for payment he earned but never received, the Tallahassee Democrat reports.

TEACHER SHORTAGE: Florida charter schools face the same trouble finding qualified educators as district schools, Redefined reports.

IN COURT: An Okaloosa County school district official pleads no contest to four counts of failure to report child abuse, in an ongoing case that involved four district employees, the Northwest Florida Daily News reports. • A Volusia County family sues the school district alleging negligence as their child was bullied in school, the Daytona Beach News-Journal reports.

ICYMI: Yesterday's Florida education news roundup

Comments
One town hall down, ten more to go

One town hall down, ten more to go

TAMPA — First, the disclaimer: "I'm not here to tell you how to vote," Hillsborough County Public Schools Superintendent Jeff Eakins told his audience. "I'm here to educate you about why we're here."From there, in his Tuesday evening presentati...
Updated: 10 minutes ago
Report: Pinellas improves on achievement gap, but needs to do better

School for black students in Pinellas County is getting better, according to a report detailing the school district's progress a year into its effort to close the educational achievement gap by 2027.Of the six measures included in...
Updated: 2 hours ago
Struggling Plato Academy Pinellas Park vows to boost school culture, attendance

After their school earned a D grade for its first year in operation, educators from Plato Academy Pinellas Park presented an improvement plan to Pinellas County school officials on Tuesday, pointing to plans to improve&#...
Updated: 5 hours ago
Pasco schools budget faces showdown over salaries

For the past several months, Pasco County school employees have agitated for pay raises this year.School Board members said they'd look for ways to direct more money into salaries, but so far haven't found much. The current proposal contemplates abou...
Updated: 5 hours ago
Pasco School Board to lay groundwork for new schools

With enrollment growth continuing and school crowding yet unresolved, the Pasco County School Board is taking steps to add three promised new schools to its inventory.The School Board is poised to approve a 5-year work plan that includes a new middle...
Updated: 8 hours ago
Florida education news: Oversight, choice, growth and more

OVERSIGHT: To help convince voters to support its cause, the Hillsborough County school district announces well-respected Betty Castor will head a committee to review spending of revenue from a requested sales tax increase. The money would be de...
Published: 09/18/18
Pasco schools see higher enrollment growth than projected

In discussing pay raises, Pasco County school district officials have asked their employee negotiating groups to wait and see if more students turn up than expected.The state projected district enrollment to rise by 1,001 children. Any more than that...
Published: 09/17/18
Pasco school district changes its choice application procedures

Pasco County parents seeking to send their children to schools other than the ones they're assigned to will face a new set of deadlines this fall, as the district streamlines its process.Instead of separating the applications between magnet and open ...
Published: 09/17/18
Florida education news: School security, teacher pay, drinking water and more

SECURITY: The Florida Board of Education discusses ways to offer school districts more flexibility in the way they use future guardian funding. State lawmakers, however, aren't ready to release unused money from the current year allocation, TC P...
Published: 09/17/18
ICYMI: Florida education news in review, week of Sept. 9, 2018

School security remains a point of high concern for Florida schools. When it comes to funding, there’s talk of spending more. Yet when the idea of giving school districts flexibility in deciding how to use the money, there’s not too much ...
Published: 09/15/18