Tuesday, November 13, 2018

Florida education news: Budgets, pay plans, campaign claims and more

BUDGET SEASON: The Florida Board of Education prepares to consider a legislative budget proposal including "no change in 2018-19 millage rates." • Without comment, the Hillsborough County School Board approves a $3 billion budget with a decreased property tax rate. • The Pinellas County School Board approves a $1.5 billion budget, also without comment. • The Collier County School Board narrowly approves a new district tax rate and budget, the Naples Daily News reports. • The Sarasota County School Board  approves it budget with one dissent, the Herald-Tribune reports.

PAY PLAN: The Pasco County school district asks teachers for their thoughts about a plan that would offer more pay in exchange for longer work days. • The Lake County School Board approves raises for all teachers, the Daily Commercial reports.

CAMPAIGN CLAIMS: Running for U.S. Senate, Gov. Rick Scott releases an ad touting historic funding for Florida schools, Florida Politics reports. The ad comes under immediate attack as misleading. More from the Capitolist.

SECURITY FUNDS: Duval County school district leaders urge state lawmakers to reconsider a proposal to release unused school guardian funds for other security uses, the Florida Times-Union reports. • The Citrus County School Board explores the idea of adding a guard program to support resource officers in schools, the Citrus County Chronicle reports.

SMOKING IN THE CLASSROOM: Miami-Dade County high school students say it's easy to sneak an e-cigarette puff or two in class, and it happens often, the Miami Herald reports. The City of Miami Beach aims to crack down on sales of the items to under-age children.

ACTIVE SHOOTER DRILLS: Some St. Johns County parents question the content of videos to be shown to students for active shooter response training, the St. Augustine Record reports. They say they should have been allowed to view the materials or given the choice to opt out.

SOFTWARE PROJECT: An internal auditor says Manatee County school district officials routinely ignored warnings about problems with a software installation that has gone well beyond its scope and budget, the Herald-Tribune reports.

STUDENT VOICES: The Leon County School Board gets a new student representative who pledges to listen to student concerns, the Tallahassee Democrat reports.

BACK PAY: A former Leon County high school athletic director wins a settlement for payment he earned but never received, the Tallahassee Democrat reports.

TEACHER SHORTAGE: Florida charter schools face the same trouble finding qualified educators as district schools, Redefined reports.

IN COURT: An Okaloosa County school district official pleads no contest to four counts of failure to report child abuse, in an ongoing case that involved four district employees, the Northwest Florida Daily News reports. • A Volusia County family sues the school district alleging negligence as their child was bullied in school, the Daytona Beach News-Journal reports.

ICYMI: Yesterday's Florida education news roundup

Comments
Nearly 100 ideas to rename Tampa’s Lee Elementary

From the obvious to the ironic and back again, Hillsborough residents racked their collective brains to find the best new name for Lee Elementary School.MaryEllen Elia was suggested, for the last superintendent.But that won't happen. A newly revised ...
Updated: 6 hours ago
USF and other Florida universities join nationwide effort to improve college access

Together, they will "create a playbook of adaptable student success reforms," USF said.
Updated: 11 hours ago
Supporters defend Pasco principal accused of stealing $900 from a student

Days after the arrest of Connerton Elementary principal John Abernathy, accused of stealing $900 from a student with special needs, "Team John" began lobbying the school district to keep the veteran administrator on the job.Superintendent Kurt Browni...
Published: 11/13/18
Florida superintendents association adopts legislative platform

Funding plays a key role in several of the recommendations.
Published: 11/13/18
Florida education news: Prekindergarten, parent pushback, school board races and more

A roundup of stories from around the state.
Published: 11/13/18
Hudson Elementary staff, families hope to halt proposal to close school

The Pasco County superintendent has recommended shutting down the campus in 2021.
Published: 11/12/18
Florida education news: School funding, board members, student testing and more

Published: 11/12/18
Florida voters are saying yes when school districts ask for more money. Is that a good thing?

Hillsborough County school superintendent Jeff Eakins takes a clear message from last week's election, which saw many Floridians vote to tax themselves more to help public schools meet rising costs.People see the challenges firsthand and "they know t...
Published: 11/12/18
Linda Lerner steps away after 28 years on the Pinellas School Board. ‘I wanted to make things better for everybody’

Linda Lerner, one of Florida's longest-serving school officials with nearly three decades on the Pinellas County School Board, will step down Tuesday, leaving her seat for one of three new members elected last week.The decision was difficult, Lerner ...
Published: 11/12/18
ICYMI: Florida education news in review, week of Nov. 5, 2018

Can Florida’s courts determine what a “high quality” education system looks like? Or is that too subjective a term? The Florida Supreme Court has that question before it, as it determines whether a 9-year-old school funding adequacy...
Published: 11/10/18