When a Hillsborough bus driver swerved her bus into the bushes, injuring 11 kids, to avoid an armadillo, we all took note. One story focused on drivers with multiple accidents - apparently something that happens too often.
We also requested data from the state on just how frequently bus accidents happen. The information didn't come soon enough for a story. But here it is.
Between July 2006 and June 2007, the Department of Education logged in 1,443 bus accidents. Among those:
- 1,225 were between a bus and another vehicle
- 174 were single-vehicle crashes
- 1 involved a train
- 8 people were killed
- 297 people were injured
- 1,300 occurred on a clear day
- 83 occurred on a rainy day
- 393 of the drivers had 10 or more years of experience