Education in Tallahassee: It's not all about the budget
While Florida lawmakers continue to stew over the state's financial mess, and how public education will share in the pain, we thought we'd take a look at some of the other education issues that they're filing bills about.
Once the regular session rolls around, we'll get to hear debate on such topics as:
- Requiring children to take swimming lessons before enrolling in school (SB 146, Bullard)
- Eliminating the requirement to teach children about abstinence in sex education (HB 19/SB 268, Jenne/Ring)
- Establishing a social studies FCAT (HB 13, McBurney)
- Mandating traffic control speed zones outside schools (HB 87, Scionti)
- Getting rid of school grades (SB 78, Wilson)
- Tightening accountability rules for charter schools (SB 278, Gaetz)
See, we don't have to talk about how many millions the districts will likely cut. We can talk about swimming lessons and sex ed. Something to look forward to. Now go find a red pen and get back to your budget workshops.