Fiorentino officially announces her reelection bid
We told you on Tuesday that Pasco schools superintendent Heather Fiorentino had filed her papers to seek a third term. On Friday, Fiorentino sent out her official press release announcing her campaign.
She says her "steady and visionary leadership" has guided the district through turbulent times, and that she hopes to build upon her successes during another four years in office. We'll let you read for yourself the full release. But first, an update on her opponents.
Simply put, there are none. Despite rumors flying through Pasco County on Thursday, Fiorentino still has no challengers for the superintendency. Now, the press release.
Superintendent Heather Fiorentino Files for Re-election
The Committee to re-elect Superintendent Heather Fiorentino is energized by the success that has been achieved during the past eight years and renewed by her commitment to improving the lives of Pasco's children. Pasco School Superintendent Heather Fiorentino has filed the necessary paperwork to seek re-election for a third term in office. Fiorentino's steady and visionary leadership has propelled the District during turbulent times, culminating in the District being recognized as a state and national leader in innovative educational practices.
Fiorentino understands the important role that education plays in the long-term sustainability of the community, and has demonstrated a keen ability to focus on the individual needs of every child while providing sound, fiscally-responsible leadership. Despite the significant challenges of multi-million dollar shortfalls in state funding and increased expectations, the District School Board of Pasco County continues to shine with Fiorentino at the helm, as evidenced by the following highlights:
- Increased graduation rate of 88.5% (FL calculation) and 85.5% (NGA calculation) which are substantially higher than the state average.
- Secured Drop-out rate of 1.0%, which has plummeted below the state average
- Increased student achievement, with the District increasing its overall points under the state recognition system, earning an outstanding B rating (earning just five points below an A)
- Recognized as a leader in fiscal responsibility by the Florida Department of Education for having the lowest administrative costs in the entire state of Florida
- Expanded access to accelerated learning opportunities, challenging Pasco's brightest minds, while providing necessary support to struggling students
- Focused on Career Preparation-Opening at least one certified career academy in each of Pasco's high schools. Career Academies boost the local economy by preparing a highly skilled workforce, while allowing students the opportunity to earn industry certification and post-secondary credit in a high skill/high wage field
- Opened 22 new schools over six years to keep pace with growth in student population and implement the class size amendment. Utilized energy efficient design to ensure operational efficiency which yield long-term savings
- Won state and national awards for innovative educational practices and for streamlining operations to allow more dollars in the classroom
- Prepared students for the challenges of global citizenship through Global Partnership Projects, allowing students and educators to network with their international peers through video conferencing
- Provided equitable access to the technology students need to prepare them for challenges of tomorrow
Fiorentino plans to build upon these successes over the next four years, while implementing even greater operational efficiencies that will provide differentiated central office support to schools so they can better meet the needs of all students. Additionally, she remains committed to working with the Board to continue expanding high quality educational choices to all families in a fiscally responsible manner. While the challenges that lie ahead are great, Fiorentino has the proven leadership and ability to continue moving the District in a positive direction. She is eager to continue working with all stakeholders to ensure a solid foundation for student success.