Janssen's student assignment proposal includes growth of IB and fundamental programs
UPDATE at 10:15 p.m. Read complete story here. (And by "complete," we mean everything we could fit in a newspaper article...we'll have more "complete" details on all the proposals on tomorrow's blog! Promise.)
LARGO -- Pinellas school superintendent Julie Janssen isn't expected to present all the details for her student assignment proposal until 1 p.m.
But a power point presentation posted posted on the school district's web site here, indicates a few specific suggestions. Big picture suggestions include creating three school zone areas for middle and high schools, establishing attendance zones for gifted magnets at the middle school level, creating "flexible proximity preference for all magnet and fundamental schools" and tweaking feeder patterns.
Other ideas included in the power point:
* Create research and development schools in partnership with colleges including St. Petersburg College, University of Florida and University of South Florida. Specifically, partnering Melrose Elementary with UF; creating a pre-K center with SPC; and identifying one additional elementary site.
* Creating pre-K-2 and 3-5 centers at Kings Highway and Sandy Lane elementaries as well as Southern Oak and Walsingham elementaries.
*Supporting a "pure montessori program" and move Gulfport Montessori to the Lakeview Elementary building.
* Create additional fundamental seats by moving Lakeview Fundamental Elementary into the Gulfport Elementary building and identifying another elementary school to convert to a fundamental school.
* Create a fundamental "school within a school" at the high school level. Also, phase in a fundamental high school program.
* Create a "ninth grade center" at each high school.
* Create an additional International Baccalaureate program, moving incoming ninth-graders from Palm Harbor University High School to Countryside High.
* Expand gifted opportunities for exiting middle school students.
* Expanding virtual schools at all levels.
* Redesign Seminole Vocational Education Center and evaluate pTECH's role in relation to the K-12 system.
Lots of questions now...stay tuned as we get more information.