Pasco superintendent Heather Fiorentino and the School Board have given their local legislative delegation a 10-point plan they'd like to see implemented during the 2008 session. The highlights:
- Ensure adequate and flexible funding.
- Clarify statutes relating to school concurrency to exempt school districts from compliance with transportation concurrency
- Protect the Safe Schools Alliance and the Drug-Free Schools program
- Maximize students' opportunities to participate in career academies.
- Hold ESE guaranteed allocation harmless.
- Implement a standardized teacher certification process.
- Revise the formula for calculating Voluntary Pre-K funding.
- Increase thresholds for the competitive bidding process.
- Add a practical arts course to the state's high school graduation requirements.
- Reallocate the unused portion of the breakfast program to districts that are voluntarily providing breakfast at secondary schools.
To read the rationale behind each point, see the district's two-page presentation here.