Gradebook

Education news and notes from Tampa Bay and Florida

No Child? Nope, haven't heard about it ...

13

June

Breaking news: Americans have mixed feelings about No Child Left Behind ... but they're not sure what it is. According to a survey released today by the Pew Research for the People & The Press, 34 percent of those who have heard about No Child say they like it; 26 percent say it has made schools worse; and 32 percent say it has had no effect. Among parents with children in public schools, the numbers wiggle and woggle: 42 percent who have heard about No Child say it has made schools better, but that number drops to 30 percent when they're asked about their kid's school specifically.

Surveys can be useful gauges of public opinion, and it's no surprise that No Child - jerry-rigged as it was by a strained coalition that included President Bush and Ted Kennedy - would split the country. But maybe this is the most important number to consider from the Pew poll: 58 percent of respondents said they knew little or nothing about No Child, the most sweeping ed law in decades. Yikes! And when the other 42 percent say they knew "a lot," you have to wonder what "a lot" means to the average American. Like, Paris Hilton "a lot" or Anna Nicole "a lot"???

[Last modified: Tuesday, May 25, 2010 9:18am]

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...